World Bulletin / News Desk
Two Bahraini policemen were sentenced to jail for seven years each on Sunday for beating to death a Shi'ite opposition activist in custody during last year's crackdown on protesters.
The sentences, reported by state news agency BNA, were criticised as too lenient by critics and may do little to blunt international criticism of human rights abuses since Bahrain's Sunni Muslim rulers quelled a Shi'ite-led uprising last year.
In April 2011, Kareem Fakhrawi - a businessman and member of Wefaq, the leading opposition group in Bahrain - died in custody, a week after failing to return home from a police station where he had tried to complain about his house being demolished by police, opposition members said.
"We didn't expect it would be just seven years," said Wefaq member Sayed Hadi al-Mousawi, criticising the sentences.
"The prosecutor changed the charges from 'torture leading to death' to 'beating leading to death'. They don't want to admit that there was torture," he told Reuters.
In July, Bahrain charged 15 policemen with "mistreatment" of detainees, as part of an investigation into reports of torture of protesters rounded up in a crackdown on unrest.
A commission of international legal experts reported in November that torture had been systematically used to punish and extract confessions from hundreds of protesters during the period of martial law last year.
It also said that 35 people, mainly protesters, had died during the unrest, five of them as a result of torture.
Thousands were arrested and military trials were instituted during the martial law period.
Washington has called on its ally to talk to the opposition, but unrest has continued. Police and demonstrators clash almost daily and each side blames the other for the violence.
The opposition says little progress has been made towards its demands for reforms including a parliament with full powers to legislate and form governments.
Bahrain's interior minister has denied that police were given any orders to torture or kill protesters.
Former president sentenced to 20 years in jail after biased trial, says Human Rights Watch
On Friday, Antiquities Minister Mamdouh al-Damati said that over the past ten months, his country had recovered a total of 221 artifacts that had been previously smuggled to the US, Australia, Germany and Denmark.
The camp was used by the Houthi as a supply center for its operations.
Ali Abdullah Saleh, who still has influence over army units allied with the Houthi had welcomed this month's UNSC resolution as a way to "stop bloodshed" in Yemen.
A convoy of Iranian ships have moved away from Yemen, just days after the US deployed their warships to Yemen.
One man who suffered from liver and respiratory problems has died from water poisoining, with 586 hospitalised.
4 people have been reported dead and injured, with the number as yet unknown.
Fighters have pushed inside the town of Jisr al-Shughour for the first time in the four year war
On Tuesday, Saudi Arabia announced the end of a fierce month-long air campaign that had targeted positions belonging to the Houthi group in Yemen.
The Palestinian youth was holding two knives and tried to attack Israeli troops when he was shot and killed in the West Bank.
UN humanitarian chief Valerie Amos asks Security Council to consider ways to end violence in Syria.
With no new moves towards dialogue, the Saudi airstrikes against Houthis continue and fresh fighting reported in Aden and Marib.
Sanctions at top of agenda, says senior Iranian negotiator with current round of talks being held in Vienna.
The man responsible for the killing of two Saudi policemen earlier this month has said that he was obeying orders given to him by ISIL.
Saudi artillery have continued their attacks on the Saudi Jizan province on the border with Yemen