World Bulletin / News Desk
Bulent Yildirim, the Chairman of the IHH Humanitarian Aid Foundation, on Wednesday said that "48 Iranians were released in Damascus's Duma region as 2,130 people, including women and children, began to be transferred by buses as part of a prisoner exchange mediated by Turkey and Qatar." 48 Iranians were held captive by the Syrian opposition.
In exchange for the 48 Iranians, the Syrian administration released 2,130 people, including many Turkish nationals on Wednesday.
The exchange continues on Wednesday as prisoners are being transferred by vehicles.
Speaking to the Anadolu Agency (AA), Bulent Yildirim stressed that "48 Iranians were released in Damascus's Duma region on Wednesday. IHH official Izzet Sahin is accompanying the Iranians. In exchange, 2,130 people, including women and children, began to be transferred by buses after being kept at the Syrian Interior Ministry."
Last August, 48 Iranians who had come to Damascus for a religious visit were taken as prisoners by the Free Syrian Army (FSA).
The FSA had argued that the 48 Iranians were part of a 150-member Iranian group who had come to Syria for surveillance and that some of them belonged to the Iranian Revolutionary Guards.
Palestinian journalist Bashar al-Qaddumi and Turkish cameraman Cuneyt Unal were taken hostage by Assad forces on August 21, 2012.
Cuneyt Unal was handed over to a delegation of Turkey's Republican People's Party (CHP) in Syria on November 17, 2012 after being held captive for 90 days.
There has been no information on Qaddumi since the day he was taken hostage.
The IHH Humanitarian Aid Foundation in 2012 helped the release of many Turkish nationals, including journalists Adem Ozkose and Hamit Coskun, who were held captive in Syria as well as 28 Iranian nationals and 7 Syrians who were kept in prisons.
Amount will be allocated from the budget of National Education Ministry
Voters heading to cast their ballots in parliamentary, presidential elections
On eve of Election Day, Devlet Bahceli also warns of economic attacks and international conspiracies against Turkey
Operations were carried out in Turkish provinces of Gaziantep, Mugla, Osmaniye, Tekirdag, Nevsehir, and Istanbul
Binali Yildirim slams opposition for raising questions over security arrangements
Turkish president slams opposition presidential candidate for saying he will sleep outside top electoral body
Nearly $60M invested to organize anti-narcotic operations in 5 years, says minister
Turkish premier stresses stability, confidence in country for continued investments
Chairman of main opposition party says Turkey has to produce added-value goods
Muharrem Ince says he will establish ministry of industry, entrepreneurship
Observers from Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe plan to create chaos in Turkey, say security sources
Okkes Tetik was arrested in western Sakarya province
Turkish president speaks two days ahead of elections in joint broadcast of TRT channels
Raids take place in Turkey's provinces of Van, Hatay, Adana, Diyarbakir and Istanbul
Journalists from 34 countries receive accreditation from Directorate General of Press and Information for June 24 elections
No causalities reported so far from quake in Van province