World Bulletin / News Desk
Fighting over a gold mine in Sudan's Darfur region has forced 100,000 people to flee and brought the closure of all public offices and schools in one town to accommodate the displaced, the United Nations said on Thursday.
Violence has ebbed since a peak in 2003/2004 but has picked up again in the past few months.
This month heavy fighting broke out between two Arab tribes over gold in the Jebel Amer area in North Darfur, displacing or severely affecting 100,000 people, the United Nations said. It had previously reported 70,000 displaced people.
"Many of these people are living in the open in appalling conditions," the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in a report.
Some 65,000 people had fled to the town of El Sireaf, the United Nations said, adding that all public offices and schools had been closed in the area to shelter displaced people.
The United Nations said it had delivered more than 600 tonnes of food but had been unable to assess the scale of conflict because the authorities had not allowed a U.N. delegation to travel to the affected area.
Some 30,000 people were displaced by separate fighting between the army and a rebel group in the central Jebel Marra area, the United Nations said two weeks ago.
Afghanistan's highest court has ruled that the police officer convicted of murdering Associated Press photographer Anja Niedringhaus should serve 20 years in prison
The country's ambassador to the United States told NBC on Sunday morning, Saudi Arabia is focussing on using air strikes.
Egypt lists 17 Brotherhood leaders including the former leader of the Muslim Brotherhood Mohamed Mahdi Akef and the head of the Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party Saad al-Katatni, as 'terrorist' figures
According to Independent news, foreign students banned from British university science lessons on the gorunds that they might learn how to make nuclear and chemical weapons
Saudi Arabia accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of hypocrisy on Sunday, telling an Arab summit that he should not express support for the Middle East while fuelling instability by supporting Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad.
The march headed towards the museum where a memorial for the victims of the attack will be inaugurated
Slovenian President Borut Pahor has said ahead of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's official visit Monday, Slovenia supports Turkey's EU membership
Arab leaders said Saudi-led operation would continue until the Iranian-allied Houthis withdraw. They also announced the formation of a unified military force to counter growing security threats from Yemen to Libya.
Collation of results continues and final results are not expected until Monday
Tens of thousands of Tunisians marched through the capital in a show of solidarity against museum attack on Sunday, hours after the government said its forces had killed nine members of a group suspected of carrying out this month's Bardo Museum attack.
According a port official, a Chinese warship approach the port of Aden to evacuate nationals.
An Israeli court has issued an order to demolish Palestinian village Susya and relocate its residents. The village was built even before the Israeli occupation of the West Bank in 1967.
At least 15 people wounded from anti-aircraft missiles shrapnel used by Houthis against warplanes of the Saudi-led coalition in Western Yemen
According to a Yemeni NGO Mwatana Organization for Human Rights (MOHR), at least 27 civilians – including 15 children – were killed in Yemen's Sanaa province.
Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi has fired Ahmed Ali Saleh who is son of former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.
Tunisian security forces have killed a senior Algerian suspected who they accuse of helping orchestrate the Bardo museum attack which targeted foreign tourists, Tunisia's Prime Minister Habib Essid said on Sunday.