World Bulletin / News Desk
A former CIA station chief received a seven-year jail sentence on Friday for the kidnap of an Egyptian Muslim cleric during former president George W. Bush's term.
A Milan appeals court also handed down two six-year sentences to two American officials for the same crime, the first of kidnappings organised by the United States.
The cleric, an Egyptian imam known as Abu Omar, was snatched from a Milan street and flown to Egypt for interrogation, where he says he was tortured for seven months. He was resident in Italy at the time of the abduction.
Former Rome CIA station chief Jeffrey Castelli and the two other defendants were tried in their absence and are unlikely to serve their sentences, but they will be unable to travel to Europe without risking arrest.
The CIA declined a request for comment.
Castelli was among 26 U.S. nationals indicted by Italian authorities for their involvement in the 2003 kidnap. The judgment overturned a previous ruling by a lower court, which acquitted the three on grounds of diplomatic immunity.
Last September Italy's highest court upheld guilty verdicts for 22 CIA agents and one Air Force pilot for the kidnapping.
In that case, all of the Americans were sentenced to seven years' jail except former CIA Milan station chief Robert Seldon Lady, who was handed a nine-year sentence.
The new ruling may boost attempts to shed light on heavy-handed CIA tactics during the administration of President Bush and was welcomed by human rights group Amnesty International.
"Many European governments are deeply implicated in the rendition and secret detention programme and any court attempting to find out the truth about these practices is welcomed," Amnesty's Expert on Counter Terrorism and Human Rights, Julia Hall, said.
In December a landmark European Court of Human Rights ruling found a German car salesman, Khaled El-Masri, to be an innocent victim of torture and abuse by U.S. authorities, and condemned the CIA kidnappings that seized him in Macedonia and secretly flew him to Afghanistan for interrogation.
In 2007 the European Parliament found at least 1,245 CIA flights were made into or over Europe in the four years after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States.
Dozens of Jewish settlers overnight took over a large, five-story building in Silwan, and tried to force a Palestinian family who resides in it and holds a legal rental contract, to leave.
Austrian newspaper Krone has said that three people have been arrested over the truck tragedy that saw 90 refugees found dead in a lorry.
As Ukraine readies itself for entry into the EU, leaders have backed less restricted travel for Ukraine amid migration crisis in Europe
With porous borders and disease outbreaks inside and around Uganda, authorities are using Twitter to speed up response times
German Justice Ministry, Facebook will discuss protection of people against abuse, hate speech and bullying
Horrible discovery of dead migrants is a warning to Europe to get to grips with the migrant crisis, says Merkel
German Chancellor says EU must help Balkan countries to deal with migrant influx
Final report into the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 over war-torn eastern Ukraine last year will be released in October 13
Painful talks between Ukraine, IMF and US lasting for five months end with a restructuring agreement reached
Despite agreement being signed it still must be implemented on the ground
Polish President Duda expects influx of Ukrainian refugees leaving no room to accept others
Military and Iraqi police were battling to retake Ramadi when a car bomb exploded killing two commanders.
Enlargement commissioner says official accession talks with Serbia will start soon
A 20 year old African refugee has overcome tribulation to gain first place in the Greek university entrance exams.
53 members of central committee have resigned to join rebel left wing with Tsipras vowing to not work with the opposition