World Bulletin / News Desk
Japan's coast guard detained a Chinese fishing boat near the southern Japanese island of Okinawa on Saturday and arrested the captain for collecting coral illegally, a coast guard official said.
The vessel was detained off Miyako Island, some 150 km (95 miles) from islands in the East China Sea at the centre of a territorial dispute between the two countries, and about 400 km (250 miles) east of Taipei.
A long-simmering row over the East China Sea islands, known as the Senkaku in Japan and the Diaoyu in China, has in recent months escalated to the point where both sides have scrambled fighter jets while patrol ships shadow each other in nearby seas.
In September 2010, the arrest of a Chinese trawler captain by the Japanese coast guard near the disputed islands triggered a barrage of strong words from Beijing and protests in front of Japanese diplomatic missions.
The Japanese coast guard official said on Saturday the captain of the boat was arrested for alleged violation of Japanese law to protect the country's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) from unauthorised fishing.
The vessel was found collecting coral inside the EEZ, 46 km east-northeast of Miyako island, east of Ishigaki, the official said.
The boat and crew of 12 people were being taken to Miyako island.
China's official Xinhua news agency, quoting the Chinese Consulate General in the city of Fukuoka, said the vessel had been detained for "alleged unauthorised coral fishing".
"The consulate has urged the Japanese side to ensure the safety of the Chinese sailors and will visit the captain when he arrives at Miyako," Xinhua reported.
The US Treasury Department slapped punitive measures on a clutch of Chinese and Russian individuals and companies Tuesday, accusing them of supporting North Korea's nuclear programme and attempting to evade US sanctions.
The weather observatory raised the storm warning to the city's maximum Typhoon 10 signal for the first time in five years as Hato approached.
Retired master sergeant, a Muslim convert, had been kidnapped during attack
Serebrennikov, 47, is the artistic director of Moscow's Gogol Centre theatre and has staged productions at the legendary Bolshoi Theatre. His films have been shown at the Cannes and Venice film festivals.
Authorities in Bangladesh, India and Nepal have put the death toll at more than 750 since August 10, when a series of deluges began spreading with the annual monsoon season.
Pakistani observers complain US president's strategy on Afghanistan completely overlooks their concerns
The government failed to get the two-thirds majority to pass the bill that has been the centre of contentious political debate and party horsetrading for nearly two years.
South Korea and US kick off annual exercise with 70,000 troops
Lt. Col. Shrikant Purohit is suspected of being directly involved in 2008 bombings targeting a Muslim-majority town
Military says 3 women among dead in attack by Abu Sayyaf group on village in predominantly Muslim province of Basilan
The centre-left Labour Party has enjoyed a huge boost in support ahead of the September 23 election after gambling on a charismatic new leader in 37-year-old Jacinda Ardern.
James Joseph Dresnok was among just a handful of American servicemen to desert following the Korean War, crossing the heavily fortified Demilitarized Zone in 1962.
Visit follows fresh US allegations that Islamabad is not 'doing enough' against Haqqani network
At least 100 deaths were reported overnight across India and Bangladesh following the latest in a series of deluges since August 10, as the annual monsoon hit the north and east of the region.
UN mission in Afghanistan confirms Taliban, self-proclaimed ISIL militants killed 36 people in Mirza Olang valley