World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkish Interior Minister Muammer Guler said that the suicide bomber of the US embassy in Ankara was revealed to have entered Turkey illegally with a fake identity.
Guler said that the bomber had been released from prison in 2001 and left the country, adding that there had been a warrant out for him.
It was revealed that he returned to Turkey illegally and entered the country by using a fake ID, he added.
A suicide blast on Friday at a checkpoint outside the US Embassy compound killed the bomber and a security guard, while wounding a Turkish journalist.
Earlier in the day, the Ankara Governor's Office stated that six kg of TNT explosives caused the blast in the US Embassy in Ankara. The Office said that nearly six kg of TNT explosives were set off by pushing a button with an electronic mechanism in the blast. It noted that the suicide bomber also set off a hand grenade with him.
He was identified as a member of the DHKP-C terrorist organization who had been arrested earlier for attacking the Istanbul Security Department and Sisli Harbiye soldier's club with a flame thrower in 1997, and had then escaped to a foreign country after his release, said the office.
It added that the suicide bomber was identified by his family from his photos, however, his exact identity would be determined after a DNA test.
The bomber has been wanted on charges of attempting to change the constitutional order and riot of convicts and suspects.
Police found a fake identity on Sanli with the name of Irfan A.
Police found out that Sanli wrapped himself with nearly six kg of TNT explosives, and set them off with an electronic button.
Police also found pieces of a hand grenade which also exploded when the TNT was set off.
Meanwhile, two people were detained in connection with the fake ID on Sanli.
Security forces traced Sanli as entering Istanbul from Germany via Greek islands illegally.