World Bulletin / News Desk
Deadly CIA drone strikes into Yemen originated in Saudi Arabia, The Washington Post reported.
The secret base's location, also disclosed by several other U.S. news organizations Tuesday, had been withheld by the organizations for more than a year at the request of senior Obama administration officials, the news organizations said.
But they reported the location after The New York Times reported online the CIA quietly established a drone base in Saudi Arabia two years ago to carry out strikes in Yemen.
That report effectively ended the arrangement among the news organizations, many of which had been aware of the location for more than a year.
The disclosure of the CIA's Saudi drone base came as the architect of the drone strikes program, John Brennan, prepared to face the Senate Thursday for a confirmation hearing to become CIA director.
Brennan has been the principal coordinator of a "kill list". He also has advised President Barack Obama on which strikes he should approve, the Times said.
Individual strikes by Predator and Reaper drones are almost never discussed publicly by Obama administration officials.
The secrecy surrounding the kill list and drone strikes, including those killing Americans, was punctured Monday with the disclosure of a 16-page U.S. Justice Department "white paper" that spells out the administration's case for killing Americans.
The white paper, first reported by NBC News, says Washington can lawfully kill one of its own citizens overseas if "an informed, high-level official" determines the person is a "senior, operational leader" of al-Qaida or one of its affiliates and poses "an imminent threat of violent attack against the United States," provided his capture was not feasible.
The memo can be found at tinyurl.com/justicedeptmemo.
Currently, over 7,000 Palestinians are languishing in Israeli prisons
They were savouring more than just the late September sun: it was their first normal schoolday after two years of brutal jihadist rule over their hometown.
Aleppo’s opposition-held Al-Mashhad district struck by vacuum bombs, local civil defense official says
Liberated Syrian town sees return of former residents sheltering in Turkey
Foreign Ministry in Moscow calls on US to release details of bilateral agreements on Syrian conflict
Peres was taken to hospital after suffering a stroke 2 weeks ago
No group has yet claimed responsibility for Tuesday’s attack
"The sunken boat was pulled out half an hour ago,", Wahdan al-Sayed, spokesman for Beheira province in northern Egypt said.
Regime and Russian airstrikes killed more than 400 people, injured hundreds in Aleppo since Sept. 19
Aleppo residents have told the Middle East Eye news service that Russian 'bunker buster' bombs are making ground shake like an earthquake
Sunday's killing of prominent writer accused of showing contempt for religion sparks protests in Jordan’s capital
"I think now it's not a question of talking about a ceasefire," Major General Ahmed Assiri said.
Former SDF figure says PKK commanders want to head towards Turkey after establishing cantons in Syria
Two rounds of UN-brokered peace talks failed to end the Yemeni conflict
Meshaal, 60, was elected the head of Hamas’ political bureau in 1996