World Bulletin / News Desk
Uighur who freed from Guantanamo and United States had sent to the Pacific island nation of Palau is not missing but has actually resettled in Turkey.
Last week, media reported that Adel Noori, 43, had disappeared from Palau and said that he was missing.
But U.S. officials had known since late last year that Noori had grown impatient with U.S. efforts to find him and his Turkish wife a permanent home and the couple had managed to relocate to her homeland.
Left unclear was how Noori, who was technically stateless and had no travel documents as a condition of his temporary refuge in Palau, had reached Turkey.
Noori was one of six Uighur men for whom the Obama administration arranged temporary resettlement in Palau in October 2009 as part of an effort to empty the prison camps in southeast Cuba and close the detention center.
The United States paid the Palauan government of Johnson Toribiong $600,000 to take care of the men. That money has run out, and Toribiong lost re-election last year to Thomas Esang Remengesau Jr., who took office Jan. 17 after Noori had left the country with the knowledge of the Torbiong administration, according to a knowledgeable U.S. official.
A Palau newspaper called Tia Belau reported that Noori worked as a security guard at a local community college but hadn't appeared at work for two months.
A federal judge ruled in October 2008 that 17 Uighurs were unlawfully held at Guantanamo as "enemy combatants" and ordered their release. Some went to Bermuda and others to Switzerland, but the largest group was sent to Palau in a process of release that is still under way. Because three Uighurs spurned Palau's offer to stay there temporarily, they are still in a special U.S. prison compound in Guantanamo called Camp Iguana.
Recent showdown between NATO and Russia is believed to be a possible solution for the Nagorno-Karabakh question in Azerbaijan
No working group can tackle question between Turkey and Russia unless Turkey takes step first, Kremlin spokesman says
Mohamad Taher Siala, a foreign ministry employee for three decades, 'officially took up his post' at the ministry building
As it is announced the number of the Chechen refugees living in Germany it is increased.
'Following last week's closure of the Idomeni refugee camp, the number of refugees trying to cross Hungary's barrier has increased,' Hungarian PM's chief adviser says
Today, Sadiq Khan and I will set aside our differences to show how remaining in Europe guarantees we are better off: UK PM
Council of Europe representative says Greece failed to 'to create decent facilities that meet international standards'
Two Tunisian civilians are killed and one other injured by a landmine planted by extremist groups near the Algerian border
As part of a peace deal, Palestinian Authority wants NATO to substitute IDF forces in the West Bank
'The start of 2016 is still feeling the disastrous consequences of the attacks in 2015,' the French capital's tourism board says
Deadly blasts occurred in three different areas killing eleven, wounding dozens
Muslim pilgrims mark prayer helping to end a drought over 5 centuries ago
A neo-Nazi has been arrested after threatening to massacre refugees
Counter-terrorism service forces forces entered the city under air cover from the international coalition, the Iraqi air force and army aviation and supported by artillery and tanks
The IMF has refused to back Greece's rescue plan with some seeing the move as the IMF making an effort to protect its own reputation
Hissene Habré, 73, is a former rebel leader who took power by force in 1982 and was then supported by the US and France to remain at the helm as a bulwark to Muammar Gaddafi, the leader of Libya.