World Bulletin / News Desk
Two members of Egypt's security forces and three civilians were killed on Sunday and hundreds injured when shooting broke out during clashes between protesters and police in the Suez Canal city of Port Said, security and medical sources said on Monday.
The violence erupted as hundreds of people demonstrated after authorities decided to move prisoners awaiting a verdict over alleged involvement in a deadly football riot last year.
Police used tear gas to disperse a crowd that had gathered in front of a local government office. The Health Ministry said in a statement on Monday that 404 people had been injured.
The Interior Ministry said in a statement that two of its personnel had died of bullet wounds to the neck and head.
A security official said earlier that protesters threw petrol bombs and stones at the police station in Port Said, where a general strike entered its third week.
The interior ministry said it decided to move prisoners from Port Said, starting with the 39 remaining defendants over the February 2012 football violence, because it wanted to avoid unrest.
The court verdict, expected next Saturday, is for the 39 defendants in a case which resulted in death sentences in January for 21 other defendants, sparking clashes that killed at least 40 people.
Last year's football riot killed 74 people, mostly supporters of a visiting Cairo team.
United Nations assistant secretary general Toby Lanzer said the suffering in northeast Nigeria and surrounding areas was the worst he had ever witnessed.
United Party for National Development MPs say President Edgar Lungu is not legitimate
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas gets reactions of Palestinians after he cries over former Israeli Prime Minister President during his funeral
Head of Crimean Tatar Mejlis says community will take Russian prohibtion on parliament to European Court of Human Rights
"All member states greenlight early EU ratification of Paris agreement. What some believed impossible is now real," European Union President Donald Tusk said on Twitter.
The UN refugee agency said now around 100,000 people -- many of whom had fled into the town in search of safety -- could no longer leave after government troops surrounded the area.
Looking drawn and dressed in a dark suit, Ntaganda took his place in the dock behind his defence lawyers at his trial in the International Criminal Court, with a witness giving testimony.
Participation of Shia militias in upcoming campaign to free ISIL-held Mosul could spark sectarian conflict, experts warn
He also reported a sharp drop so far this year to 210,000 people seeking safe haven in the biggest EU economy as of last week.
The Czech leader said Prague was "disturbed by the increase in hateful attacks in Britain aimed at the citizens of EU member states".
90 pct rise in August in the number of refugees trying to make perilous journey across the Aegean
Nicosia District Court judge Dona Constantinou was satisfied that Seif al-Din Mohamed Mostafa, 58, would get a fair trial in Egypt and would not be persecuted for his political beliefs.
Fighter jets have taken off from the Charles de Gaulle carrier in the Mediterranean Sea.
Supporters of leaders who have presided over atrocities attack each other online, spreading hatred and drawing deep wounds
The Obama administration will relinquish control of the internet’s “address book” to a California-based nonprofit organisation
UEFA slaps Celtic with 10,000-euro fine after fans flew Palestinian flags during match against Israel's Hapoel Be'er Sheva