World Bulletin / News Desk
The former commander of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards announced on Monday he would run in presidential election set to be dominated by conservatives vying to replace President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
Mohsen Rezaie stood in the last tumultuous 2009 election, finishing third, and made a complaint that Ahmadinejad's re-election had been rigged, before withdrawing the allegations days later.
Rezaie was commander-in-chief of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps for 16 years until 1997. He was subsequently appointed secretary of the Expediency Council, a body that advises Iran's most powerful man, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
"Currently the main problem facing people is the economic issue and economic development should be accomplished as well as political development," Fars news agency quoted Rezaie as saying after announcing his candidacy in Divandare in Kurdistan province, in eastern Iran.
"Today income is the people's basis of life and we must implement plans to reduce the cost of living and raise their income levels."
He had already indicated his intention to be a candidate.
Lawmakers vote overwhelmingly to extend martial law across southern island through year's-end
In a special joint session of the House and the Senate, legislators overwhelmingly backed Duterte's bid to have martial law remain in force in the Mindanao region until December 31.
Incident occurred in Helmand province where Afghan forces are mounting attacks against Taliban
Security forces allegedly committed violence during 4-month operation, says UN rapporteur on human rights in Myanmar
Chances low but island state begins campaign that includes educational ads, sirens, school drills
Supreme Court seeks report on incidents of cow vigilantism as government argues law and order is provincial issue
Communist rebels allegedly kill police chief, 4 others in Guihulngan city Friday
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson uses Japan visit to hit out at Pyongyang ICBM test
Replaces earlier story 'US lawmaker to protest if Duterte visits White House'
James McGovern says Duterte’s human rights record should prevent him from the White House
Rodrigo Duterte visits troops still in midst of fighting Daesh-linked Maute group in southern city
18 men, 9 women, 1 child among dead in Himachal Pradesh
Seoul police announce investigation into whether woman known in South Korea as Lim Ji-hyun was abducted
Zakir Naik's passport was revoked after the 51-year-old failed to respond to a showcause notice issued to him for personal appearance by July 13.
Foreign nationals members of loan shark syndicate victimizing gambling addicts, police say