World Bulletin / News Desk
Stone-throwing protesters clashed with police in Guinea's capital Conakry on Monday and rioting spread to another city as main opposition leaders boycotted a meeting called by President Alpha Conde after days of unrest that has killed five people.
Hundreds of protesters have been injured since tensions over upcoming legislative polls triggered days of unrest that began on Wednesday. Guinea's notoriously ill-disciplined security forces have a history of brutal crackdowns on protests.
Conde wants to discuss preparations for a long-delayed election that is meant to complete a transition to civilian rule after a 2008 military coup. He missed a deadline on Sunday for a presidential decree to officially call the election for May 12.
Preparations for the vote, which is essential to unlock hundreds of millions of dollars in European aid to the world's largest bauxite supplier, are being hampered by opposition claims that the government is seeking to rig the outcome.
An opposition delegation, led by spokesman Aboubacar Sylla and former prime minister Jean-Marie Dore, went to the talks with Conde, who narrowly won a 2010 election.
"We put forward our demands and argued that today our country has need of peace and development," Sylla said after the meeting. The opposition reiterated its call to replace South African firm Waymark which manages the electoral roll, he said.
Earlier on Monday, the violent protests had spread to Labe, a fiefdom of opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo, in central Guinea some 450 km (280 miles) from the coastal capital.
"We are showing our support for our dead and injured brothers in Conakry," said Yimbering Diallo, a Labe resident. "We demand free and fair elections."
In Conakry's Madina residential neighbourhood close to the sprawling main market, police fired teargas at protesters when traders gathered to protest at the destruction and looting of their stalls.
In the Dixxin district, protesters blocked roads with barricades and burning tyres.
New offensive, reportedly to launch Saturday, aims to drive fighters from their strongholds
In big win for Nigeria’s anti-corruption campaign, official sentenced over abuse of office totaling $4.4M
PM Mariano Rajoy says he will trigger Article 155 of Spanish constitution, which gives Madrid control of Catalonia
On Friday, Iraqi government forces wrested control of kıirkuk's northern Altunkopru sub-district from Peshmerga
Statement from US Embassy in Ankara comes after Pentagon condemns raising of banner of Abdullah Ocalan in Raqqah
Chancellor-designate Sebastian Kurz has not ruled out ruling coalition with anti-immigrant Freedom Party
Law forces removal of niqabs, burkas while riding municipal buses
Army also takes 2 oil fields in disputed area of Mosul, bringing number of captured oil fields to 44
Army retakes several districts from al-Shabaab, terrorist group blamed for last Saturday's deadly attack
We urge Iraqi government to calm situation by limiting federal forces’ movements in disputed areas, the spokesperson says
Tillerson, speaking one week after President Donald Trump refused to certify the Iran nuclear deal and left its fate to the US Congress, said that he would address European allies' business concerns.
Until Spain's Senate convenes to discuss the government's move to start imposing direct control over Catalonia Puigdemont "can change course, can return to constitutional legality," Martinez-Maillo said.
One of the organisers said "more than 10,000" people turned out for the march to the trades union congress building. No official figure was immediately available.
The inspection was related to "concerns that several German car manufacturers may have violated EU antitrust rules that prohibit cartels and restrictive business practices," a statement said.