World Bulletin / News Desk
The NATO oil pipeline in Turkey, which has so far been used solely for NATO purposes, will opened for civilian use, according to a source in the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources who prefers to remain unnamed.
The goal of expanding the use of the pipeline is to deal a harsh blow against oil smuggling. The legal procedures and amendments to regulations concerning limits on the pipeline's use are expected to be completed soon.
The pipeline is roughly 3,000 kilometers long. The ministry source told Today's Zaman that at present only 20 percent of its capacity has been utilized. The pipeline passes through several provinces in Turkey's central, eastern and western regions, as well as provinces in Marmara. Additional use of the pipeline will considerably decrease the need for oil tanker trucks to use roads to transport oil and it is also expected to cause some TL 100 million in lost in revenue for oil smugglers, according to the source.
Taner Mutlu, head of the Energy Market Regulatory Authority (EPDK)'s oil department, brought attention to the issue during an event last week, saying the institution is looking to open the NATO pipeline for civilian use.
Istanbul protesters hurled firecrackers behind police lines, while hundreds of people, including bystanders caught up in the melee
Turkish President Abdullah Gul approved a law closing private preparatory schools, many of which are a source of income and influence for an Islamic cleric accused by Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan of seeking to topple him
Turkish PM Erdogan called the upcoming local elections the most significant in Turkey's history and accused opposition parties and the Gulen movement of encouraging violence on streets.
Top diplomats of the three countries will exchange views on enhancing regional cooperation on the issues of common interest to all three countries.
Elvan, then aged 14, got caught up in street battles in Istanbul between police and protesters on June 16
Turkish dailies on Wednesday mainly cover the death of Gezi protests victim after 269 days in coma, the release of the detained suspects in Ergenekon case and the killings in courthouses.
Plans to reconstruct the military barracks in its former spot in Taksim's Gezi Park caused much controversy last year, when activists occupied the park to prevent building work from being commenced.
More detainees in "Ergenekon" coup trial have been released as the maximum detention period is reduced.
Turkey and Niger signed agreements for cooperation in energy, infrastructure, health
Elvan was the sixth person to die in violence during nationwide protests in late May and June over Erdogan's plans to rebuild an Istanbul park
Israel's Netanyahu said he is hopeful for the restoration of diplomatic ties with Turkey.
Turkish parliament Speaker Cemil Cicek said “The biggest insult and the biggest disrespect that can be done to a society is accusing them of committing genocide, though it is not real.”
Muhammad Salih claims that followers of Fethullah Gulen are pushing to deport him from Turkey in return for a lift of restrictions on their activities in Uzbekistan.
Most Turkish dailies on Tuesday dedicated their front pages to the releases of detainees connected with Ergenekon case – an alleged coup plot – plus a Turkish Super League football match between Trabzonspor and Fenerbahce which was abandonded after fans threw flares and objects on to the pitch before clashing with police.
A court in Istanbul frees two more detainess of Ergenekon alleged coup attempt case, but one will still be detained pending his second case.
Two people, one man and one woman, have been shot in an attack at a courthouse in Istanbul's Caglayan district.