World Bulletin/News Desk
France's embassy in Libya was hit by what appeared to be a car bomb on Tuesday, injuring two guards in the first such attack in the Libyan capital since the 2011 war that ousted Muammar Gaddafi.
"There was an attack on the embassy. We think it was a booby trapped car," a French official told Reuters. "There was a lot of damage and there are two guards wounded."
In Paris, Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius condemned what he called a heinous attack and said everything would be done to find the perpetrators. "I send my solidarity and deepest sympathy to the two injured French guards and my wishes for their recovery," he said in a statement.
One resident living less than 100 metres from the embassy said his windows shook when the first blast occurred.
"I think there were two blasts, the first was very loud and then there was a smaller one," another witness said. "There was some black smoke at first, and then it turned white."
Diplomatic missions have been targeted in Libya, most notably an attack on the US mission in the eastern city of Benghazi last September that killed the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans.
However Tuesday's attack is the first such serious assault on an embassy or foreign mission in the capital, Tripoli.
Libya's new rulers are still struggling to impose their authority on a country awash with weapons and a myriad of armed militias who often do as they please.
President Muhammadu Buhari indicates Nigeria is willing to talk to rebels over kidnapped Chibok girls
Iraqi forces have been battling ISIL militants in an attempt to retake territory captured by the terror group
Head of miners federation that called strike last month, 2 top officials among detained
Former economy minister says Brazilian president did nothing Illegal
Haider al-Abadi says Khalidiya town cleared of terror group as army plans push to retake Mosul
Authorities suspect attack carried out by Paraguayan People's Army guerrilla group
An Israeli army commander has made shocking threats to Palestinian youth held in the Al-Duheisha, threatening that he will “make all the youth of the camp disabled,” according to a Palestinian rights group, reported by the Middle East Monitor
Hillary Clinton has received the first classified intelligence briefing Saturday morning
Japan has pledged to give $30 billion as an investment to Africa by 2018
Egyptian authorities to reopen Rafah crossing on Tuesday for three consecutive days
Incumbent President Ali Bongo faces stiff competition from former African Union Commission
Spanish authorities have cracked down on an illegal ring that involves Chinese domestic staff
Scots drive to put Israel's West Bank wall on the Google Map as fall-out from Celtic fans Palestinian flag protest simmers
Turkish president expresses sadness in call to Italian counterpart, extends his condolences to the families of victims killed in early Wednesday earthquake with a mass funeral is held today for 34 of the 284 people killed
Prime Minister-designate Youssef Chahed's new unity government wins votes of confidence in parliament.
Time to ‘choose engagement over isolation’ senior government minister