A bomb attack that killed 52 people in Hatay's border town of Reyhanlı last month was organized by the Syrian intelligence agency Al- Muhabarat, according to Nasır Eskiocak, the prime suspect in the case.
According to reports published in various Turkish newspapers, Eskiocak, who was captured on June 10 while trying to cross the border into Syria from Yayladağı, said in his testimony that his contacts were agents of the intelligence agency. He also gave the names of the agents, newspapers reported.
He was reported as having said: “I have been doing work for al-Muhabarat in Hatay for a long time. I am one of the regional agents of the agency. It was al-Muhabarat that ordered the Reyhanlı attack. I organized the attack in all aspects and details.”
He said he had planned other attacks on shopping malls and mosques in the cities of Ankara, Konya and Hatay. He said he was ordered to target civilians and cause the loss of as many lives as possible. “I was going to place bombs in places such as shopping centers and mosques.”
He also said the attack has nothing to do Mihraç Ural, the leader of the Turkish Peoples Liberation Party/Front (THKP/C), who was believed to have connections to the bombing.
On May 11, a car bomb exploded outside city hall, while another went off outside the post office in Reyhanlı, a main hub for Syrian refugees and opposition activity in Hatay province. Fifty-two people were killed and as many as 100 injured in the bombings.
On June 10 the Hatay Governor's Office said in a written statement that the city's police force captured Nasır Eskiocak in Hatay's Yayladağı district as he was crossing the border into Syria at about 11 p.m. on Monday. Eskiocak is believed to be involved with various leftist terrorist organizations.
“We feel for the victims of the extremist attack,” Russian president says
Russian president welcomes letter from Turkish counterpart calling for restoration of friendly relations
President Erdogan and Prime Minister Yildirim expected to attend opening ceremony
Turkish and Russian leader, speaking on phone, agree to boost relations and cooperation with a face-to-face meeting
Death toll of the Atatürk airport attack rises to 41, including ten foreign nationals, local government office says
- According to governor's office, 10 foreign nationals and 3 others with dual Turkish citizenship among dead
President Erdogan and his Russian counterpart held a "positive" phone conversation on Wednesday, diplomatic source says.
Funds will be used to support Turkish Cypriot nation for improving public finance and real sector among host of areas
At least 36 people died in Tuesday night's triple suicide bombing at Ataturk airport, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said early Wednesday.
“This week we will start the process of ambassador appointment” between Turkey and Israel, Kalin told reporters in Ankara.
Malaysian leader calls for Muslim countries to unite in combating terror; countries share support for Turkey
There have been several bomb attacks in Turkey, with some of the worst since 1986 occurring in the last year
Turkish PM, first signs in Istanbul attack point to ISIL
'We remain steadfast in our support for Turkey, our NATO ally and partner,' White House says
At least 32 people have been killed and 147 injured after two attackers fired on passengers with explosions taking place at a control point
The latest terrorist attack at Istanbul's Ataturk airport has claimed the lives of 28 people, injuring dozens.