The International Criminal Tribunal for former Yugoslavia (ICTY) announced on Monday that Radovan Karadzic's trial will be suspended for two months to give the wartime Bosnian Serb leader time to prepare his defense for 1992 genocide charges.
Previously, the trial chamber decided to exclude those charges from Karadzic’s indictment, but in July this year the Appellate Chamber revoked this decision.
Karadzic, after the appellate decision, requested an extra four to six months for preparation, but was granted only two to come up with a defense on the charges of genocide in 1992 in eight municipalities of Bosnia -- Bratunac, Foci, Kljuc, Prijedor, Sanski Most, Vlasenica and Zvornik.
Radovan Karadzic was arrested on July 21, 2008 in Belgrade. His trial at the ICTY commenced on October 26, 2009.
Alongside genocide charges for the eight municipalities, he is indicted for genocide committed in July 1995 in Srebrenica, the expulsion of Muslims and Croats across Bosnia from 1992 to 1995, crimes committed in Sarajevo during the siege of the city, and for taking international peacekeepers as hostages in 1995.
The ICTY is currently on summer break, but the trial will continue on August 19 when Ratko Mladic, Bosnian Serb wartime military leader, and Goran Hadzic, Croatian Serb political leader, will be back to the courtroom.
Official results of Iraq’s parliamentary election have been dogged by controversy and allegations of vote-rigging
Threat comes after EU announced 25 percent tariff on US products
Armed terrorists ‘neutralized’ in northern Iraqi region of Gara
Palestinians have been holding mass rallies near Gaza-Israel security fence since March 30
Police report states driver of car that killed pedestrian in Arizona was streaming television show
Decision follows Trump's pledge to end “war games” during Singapore summit
Conservative bill was widely expected to fail in the chamber
Washington urges Moscow to reign in ally amid offensive in de-escalation zone
‘Koko touched lives of millions as an icon for interspecies communication and empathy’, Gorilla Foundation says
Nato Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg says they will look into strengthening transatlantic bond in summit next month
Administration to no longer require immediate legal proceedings for undocumented adults who cross illegally with children
Trump administration makes request following backlash over its immigration policy
President says he will take ‘preemptive’ action to halt the actions that have drawn widespread criticism
Al-Sadr’s Sairoon bloc fails to form governing coalition with Al-Wataniya, National Wisdom Movement