World Bulletin/News Desk
Since last year, some 5,000 taxi drivers in İstanbul have been discharged from the profession as part of an initiative launched by the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality and the İstanbul Chamber of Taxi Drivers, Turkish media outlets reported on Tuesday.
As of last year, the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality began to ask taxi drivers for a copy of their criminal record. Roughly 5,000 drivers who either did not present evidence of a lack of a criminal record to the municipality or who had been convicted of a crime in the past have lost their authorization to work as a city taxi driver.
İstanbul Chamber of Taxi Drivers head Yahya Uğur said even drug addicts were eligible to become cab drivers in the past since the drivers' criminal records were not requested.
Highlighting that the removal of taxi drivers with a criminal background increased customer satisfaction, Uğur said the chamber promised customers that they would make the profession prestigious again. “When we first took over the post [in the chamber], the profession of taxi driving had lost its [positive] reputation and the customers had lost their confidence in it,” he was quoted as saying in the Turkish media.
Uğur explained that after his chamber established a hotline for complaints and suggestions from customers, they faced a “dreadful” reality when the comments were evaluated. Among the most common complaints were fraud, including giving the customer counterfeit money, and mistreatment. “Then we decided that the driver profile had to be changed and went to the municipality to propose several projects. The İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality, which has always been helpful to us, made it obligatory for all taxi drivers to submit a copy of their criminal record. This way, those who have committed disgraceful offenses were discharged from this profession,” he said.
Customer complaints decreased dramatically following the municipality's move, Uğur said, adding that the next problem they wish to address is the fact that many drivers do not accept customers for short-distance rides.
Turkish president lashes out at US Central Command chief who says post-coup purge might affect relations
Social Security Institution to pay monthly salaries on top of one-time compensation to victims of July 15 failed coup
Seyit Ali Gumustas spent evening treating wounded on Bogazici (Bosphorus) Bridge
Binali Yildirim says Akinci Air Base in Ankara, center for July 15 coup-plotters, will be closed
In an interview, Ilknur Inceoz tells how members of Turkish parliament responded to failed coup
Turkey wants to export 15.7 billion cubic meters of natural gas, Russian Energy Minister Novak says
In letter to Turkish-US friendship group, co-chairman says Turkey's respect for rule of law will not be compromised
16 others suspended from duty over alleged links to Fetullah Gulen, accused of being behind July 15 coup attempt
Three businessmen linked to Fethullah Gulen have been arrested the coup
Central Command chief says post-coup purge might effect Turkey-US military cooperation
Following end of third round in Ankara, fourth round will be held in Islamabad in August
Turkey asks Germany to extradite Gulenist prosecutors
Upward trend reflects Turkish people's trust in economy was undamaged by July 15 coup attempt, according to analysts
Interior minister says bulk in pre-trial custody are military members, as well as judges, prosecutors, police
Number of civil servants suspended for alleged links to FETO coup attempt rises to 51,332