World Bulletin/News Desk
U.S. officials tightened security at diplomatic missions in Lebanon and Turkey on Friday, ordering personnel out of Lebanon and offering to evacuate those in Adana in southeastern Turkey, amid security threats against Americans.
The U.S. State Department also warned U.S. citizens against traveling in Lebanon and southeastern Turkey, and urged those is the rest of Turkey "to be alert to the potential for violence."
Officials did not offer any specifics about the possible threats.
"Given the current tensions the region, as well as potential threats to U.S. government facilities and personnel, we are taking these steps out of an abundance of caution to protect our employees and their families, and local employees and visitors to our facilities," said State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf, adding that officials are continuing to "assess the situation."
In Lebanon, officials ordered non-emergency personnel and their family members out of the country "due to threats," the U.S. Embassy in Beirut said in statement.
The State Department urged "U.S. citizens to avoid all travel to Lebanon because of current safety and security concerns."
In Turkey, officials offered voluntary evacuation to reduce its diplomatic presence at its consulate in Adana, Turkey, "because of threats against U.S. government facilities and personnel."
"The Consulate General in Adana has been authorized to draw down its non-emergency staff and family members it said.
It also recommended "that U.S. citizens defer non-essential travel to southeastern Turkey," the statement said.
U.S. citizens who remain in Lebanon or southeastern Turkey should remain vigilant and make their own emergency plans, officials said.
Kuwait also ordered the closure of the Iranian "military, cultural and trade" missions, said the government official, who asked not to be named.
Viral videos show Saudi prince physically and verbally assaulting at least 4 residents in capital Riyadh
Last week, Iraq formally declared victory over ISIL in Mosul
Sinai Peninsula has remained the epicenter of deadly militant insurgency since 2013
Talks are expected to tackle cooperation on fighting ISIL
The interior ministry said the two militants killed in New Cairo were senior members of the Hasam group -- an extremist movement the government accuses of links to the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood.
Prime minister denies cooperation with Syrian regime over planned operation around Juroud Arsal
UN agency says capital Sanaa among provinces hardest-hit by the disease
The measure, which goes into effect on Thursday, will not include spouses of Egyptians or university students who will be granted tourist visas on arrival, foreign ministry spokesman Ahmed Abu Zeid said.
Last month, four Arab states imposed a blockade on Qatar, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism
Parliament approves extension of troops for the period between Sept. 5, 2017, and Oct. 31, 2018
The Washington Post says UAE orchestrated hacking of Qatar's state-run news and social media sites
High-ranking military, scientists listed over targeting of civilians
A news report said six countries asked FIFA to remove Qatar as World Cup hosts