World Bulletin/News Desk
The Egyptian government has no intention of prematurely returning a $1 billion bank deposit to Turkey, Planning Minister Ashraf al-Arabi told Anadolu Agency on Thursday.
Last week, Egypt returned $2 billion deposited by Qatar in the Central Bank of Egypt to protest what it described as the "tough conditions" set by the oil-rich Gulf state for converting the money into government bonds.
"We received the Turkish deposit at convenient terms," al-Arabi told AA on the sidelines of a conference devoted to security and investment in the Red Sea resort town of Sharm al-Sheikh.
"The deposit was made to shore up Egypt's foreign reserves and will not be returned until it is due," he added.
According to the minister, an agreement was reached with Ankara for a $1-billion credit line to finance several development projects in Egypt.
"But we aren't likely to rely on it," al-Arabi added.
At less than 1 percent interest, the Turkish deposit is scheduled to be returned after five years with a three-year grace period, a Finance Ministry official told AA.
Relations between Turkey and Egypt have been tense since the Egyptian army's July 3 ouster of elected President Mohamed Morsi – a move Ankara has described as a "military coup."
Military says caves, tunnels used as shelter, storage in Sirnak province
Interior ministry announces reward of up to $1.3 million for information leading to arrest of Adil Oksuz
Turkey stands in solidarity with its brotherly country Pakistan, Turkish Foreign Ministry says
Thousands of candidates say the civil service exam fraud cheated them out of jobs and want this injustice overturned
Proposed text to amend constitution will be on Turkish parliament's agenda soon: Opposition Nationalist Movement Party head
Justice and Development Party MP's meet diplomats in effort to correct misrepresentations of Turkey
An explosion has rocked the Turkish resort city of Antalya outside the Chamber of Commerce building
On its 71st anniversary, Turkish President Erdogan says Turkey hopes UN 'takes a leading role in the fight against terrorism'
Yildirim thanks Abbas for support following July 15 coup attempt
Foreign Ministry source says foreign outlets' claims that civilians were killed in an operation are only allegations
Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag to share new evidence, obtained since Sept. 10, with US Attorney General Loretta Lynch
Jean-Marc Ayrault praises courage of Turkish people and parliamentarians during the July 15 coup bid
Airstrikes kill pair in ongoing operation in Tunceli province, local official says
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim says troops at Bashiqa called on to provide support fire for Peshmerga
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Turkish special forces could support Iraqi offensive but dismisses wider role
Yildirim says AK Party also plans to issue 5-year terms for deputies