World Bulletin / News Desk
An armed group attacked the Russian embassy yesterday in Tripoli, Libya and attemptsed to get into the diplomatic compound.
Aleksandr Lukashevich, Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman, told Russa Today that “There has been an incident in Tripoli tonight, in which there was shelling and attempts to enter the territory of the Russian embassy in this country.”
Libyan authorities informed that one assailant was killed. According to AP report’ four others were injured. According to information provided by the Russian Foreign Ministry, there were no injuries among embassy staff.
According to various reports, driving to the embassy in two cars, approximately 10 attackers opened fire on a parked diplomatic vehicle and caused a fire. Following the car ablaze, the attackers opened fire on the diplomatic building itself, Libyan News Agency (LANA) reported. Upon the arrival of security forces at the scene, they, however, drove off in an unknown direction.
Libya’s Interior Ministry stated the attack on the Russian embassy could be a reaction to the reported killing of a Libyan air force pilot by a Russian woman on Tuesday.
Libyan authorities arrested the woman who is accused of murdering the pilot, writing offensive graffiti in his blood, and stabbing his mother. The reason for the murder is not known for the moment.
Russian diplomatic channels has not confirmed this incident yet.
Russia’s Tripoli embassy experienced a similar attack in February 2012 after the protesters stormed the compound, condemning Russian and Chinese decisions to block the UN resolution against Syria. There were no injuries in that attack.
Several ports are in rebel hands and fighting has made travelling by road perilous.
Turkey's relations with Tehran have already been strained by stark differences over Syria. Ankara upped the ante last week, saying it backs the Saudi-led campaign in Yemen against Houthi militants supported by Iran.
According to the source,Pro-Houthi brigade has disintegrated Ad Dali, brigade commander Abdullah Dabaan has fled.
Abu Mohamad al-Golani, leader of the Nusra front said residents of the northwestern city of Idlib would be treated well by his fighters and other Islamic factions that captured it on Saturday.
"They pushed from the Hajar Aswad area," one witness said, adding that the violence was ongoing. Yarmouk has been caught between government forces and Syrian insurgent groups including al Qaeda's Nusra Front.
"The borders have been closed for traffic temporarily.. It's a precautionary move.. due to the violent events on the other side," the interior ministry said.
"Now is the time for the international community to insist on a better deal," he said in a televised statement in English.
The air strike hit Zintan, whose forces have sided with Prime Minister Abdullah al-Thinni's government against the rival administration set up by forces who took over Tripoli in the summer during factional fighting in Libya.
With talks to cinch a deal on the horizon according to Iran, France says there is not enough to go ahead for a deal just yet
Abdollahian and Ban spoke on the sidelines of an international conference in Kuwait aimed at addressing the humanitarian crisis in Syria, IRNA reported.
United Nations experts reported to the U.N. Security Council, thousands of people from some 100 countries in Syria and Iraq, there were also 6,500 in Afghanistan and hundreds more in Yemen, Libya, Pakistan and Somalia.
The operation by Saudi Arabia and other Sunni Muslim states is aimed at stopping the Houthis and former president Ali Abdullah Saleh winning control of the country and at reinstating Saudi-backed President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.
State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said in a statement, nuclear talks to merit staying until Wednesday.
The negotiators ended talks in the Swiss city of Lausanne in the early hours of Wednesday and said they would reconvene later in the day, with Iran and Russia expressing optimism that an initial agreement was within reach.
The Mazraq camp for displaced people near Haradh was struck on Monday, humanitarian workers said. Some 200 people were wounded, dozens of them seriously, the International Organization for Migration said.
Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah on Tuesday pledged $500 million in humanitarian aid to help ease the crisis in Syria.