World Bulletin / News Desk
United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon strongly condemned the recent “barrel bomb” attacks by the Syrian government which killed hundreds of civilians in the city of Aleppo.
According to a written statement issued Friday, the UN chief expressed deep concerns over civilians being killed and wounded in the attacks on rebel-held parts of Syria’s northern city of Aleppo.
While preparations are under way for the Geneva-2, an international peace conference scheduled for January 22 with the aim of finding a political solution to the Syrian conflict, Ban also voiced his concern over the increasing violence, adding that it will only assist those who hope for a military solution in Syria.
During his statement, Ban requested that all the people detained and abducted due to the conflict be freed, and demanded an end to sieges as well as humanitarian access to those in need.
The Syrian National Council - an umbrella organization of Syrian opposition groups battling to topple President Bashar al-Assad - (SNC) reported Syrian regime forces have killed over 650 people in Aleppo in last 10 days in air strikes using "barrel bombs” - oil drums filled with explosives and metal shrapnel. According to the SNC, the death toll from "barrel bomb” attacks throughout Syria has reached 20 thousand people since the conflict began in March 2011.
Army claims slain woman had attempted to stab Israeli soldiers deployed in flashpoint city of Hebron
Foreign national among suspects trying to cross border
Dozens wounded in attack on eastern Ghouta district of Damascus
Syrian Arab Coalition now controls flow of vehicle and people to and from Manbij city in south, US Central Command says
Move comes on third anniversary of protests that paved way for army coup against country's first freely elected leader
Alleged Palestinian attacker shot dead at the scene, say Israeli police
Italy votes to stop giving military spare parts to Egypt in response to unsolved murder of Italian postgraduate student
Sinai has been roiled by violence since 2013 army coup against Egypt’s first freely-elected president
Talks in Kuwait postponed to July 15, dashing Yemenis’ hopes for speedy resolution of conflict
Chaos erupted in the Knesset as several members charged and tried to attack Arab member Hanin Zoabi for referring to the IDF soldiers as murdererss
According to Israeli media, about 40 Palestinians are alleged to have joined the notorious terror group
The PYD, the Syrian arm of the PKK armed group, captured Tal Abyad from ISIL last year
Cairo court calls for retrial of 494 people arrested in wake of 2013 military coup
- Approval comes despite objections by security cabinet’s most right-wing members
Egypt has kept the border with Gaza mostly sealed since Morsi's ouster
Turkish armed forces and U.S.-led coalition strike more ISIL positions in northern Syria on Tuesday, military says