World Bulletin / News Desk
The largest-ever child abuse inquiry in the UK is due to start on Monday to point out possible systemic failings by the state or its institutions.
The inquiry will be looking into historical institutional abuse between 1922 and 1995 in children’s homes and juvenile justice.
More than 400 people have contacted the inquiry alleging that they were abused. The majority of those that have contacted the inquiry are from Northern Ireland, but there are cases from people who are living elsewhere including Australia.
"I want to assure all those who may be affected by both components of the Inquiry that we will do everything within our power to carry out our tasks in a thorough, rigorous, impartial and sensitive manner without any unavoidable delay," said Sir Anthony Hart, Historical Institutional Abuse Inquiry (HIA) chairman which runs the probe.
The inquiry is independent of the government; it has powers to compel people to give evidence but it cannot charge anyone.
All major Christian denominations have been contacted and asked to publicize their congregations and publications.
"The inquiry will have to investigate matters of the utmost sensitivity and importance for all of those who experienced life as children in those institutions, some of whom may wish to describe their experiences going back more than 60 years," Hart said.
"We recognize that recounting what had happened in the past can itself be very distressing."
The establishment of the inquiry was announced in 2012, and is expected to be completed by the end of 2015.
Arab heavyweight Saudi Arabia has been at loggerheads with Iran over the conflicts in Syria and Yemen and political unrest in Bahrain, and the final statement from Wednesday's Arab summit in Jordan again hit out at Iran, without naming it.
A study released last month found that worldwide arms trade had risen to its highest level since the Cold War in the last five years.
Mohamed Morsi, Egypt’s first freely elected president, was ousted and imprisoned in 2013 military coup
Opposition talks team raise humanitarian issues with Russian foreign ministry
Four other Saudis who also had "criminal records and have taken part in terror acts" were arrested following the clash on Tuesday morning, the ministry said in a statement carried by state news agency SPA.
War-torn Yemen has so far received only small fraction of $2.1 billion requested by UN, humanitarian official says
Residents of Zabadani and Madaya, two towns near Damascus under siege by government forces, will leave their homes in return for the evacuation of Fuaa and Kafraya, two mainly Shiite towns in the northwest besieged by the rebels, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Two missiles hit a vehicle on the outskirts of the town of Mudiyah in Abyan province, killing all four people inside, the official said.
Appeal comes as Arab leaders prepare for this week's Arab League summit in Jordan
A senior Syrian government official warned on Sunday that the Tabqa Dam had already been damaged by US led air strikes
No damage reported in attack carried out by Houthi rebels in Yemen
Antonio Guterres is also expected to attend one-day Arab summit during his visit to Jordan
Local authorities blame deadly attack -- which also left three attackers dead -- on Al-Qaeda
- More than 1M patients have had operations, and 200,000 Syrian babies born in Turkey since 2011, says Veysi Kaynak
The funds will go towards seven Interpol projects including counter-terrorism, cybercrime and drugs, an official statement said.
Conflicts in Syria, Yemen and Libya are expected to figure high during Arab summit