President Mahmoud Abbas on Saturday joined a campaign to stop Palestinians buying goods produced by illegal Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank, urging all Palestinians to shun the products.
Thousands of young Palestinians began a door-to-door campaign on Tuesday against products made in Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank.
The 75-year old Palestinian leader opened his door to volunteers distributing leaflets detailing products from furniture to soft drinks which the Ramallah-based Palestinian Authority has banned from Palestinian markets.
"I call on all Palestinian citizens to do the same and to boycott these goods," said Abbas, speaking in public for the first time about a campaign spearheaded by his prime minister, Salam Fayyad.
"It is not necessary, under any circumstances, for us to consume goods originating from settlements that were established on our territory," he said in Ramallah, where he met members of the movement that organised the boycott.
"We are very happy that our young people... went voluntarily to empty Palestinian homes of products from the settlements," Abbas added.
He put a sticker on his door declaring his house "free of settlement goods".
By banning settlement goods, the Palestinians aim to encourage European Union member states to ban trade with enterprises in the settlements, which are considered illegal under international law.
Abbas signed a presidential decree in April stipulating punishments ranging from fines to imprisonment for Palestinians dealing in settlement goods. The Palestinian Authority also aims to stop Palestinians from working in the Israeli enclaves.
Palestinian officials estimate the value of settlement goods sold in the Palestinian market at up to $500 million. The settlements employ around 25,000 Palestinians.
Labor unions have warned that the law will damage workers' rights
"I have the scars to prove it," quips the former secretary of state, painted by her enemies as "crooked," "corrupt" and even an enabler of her husband's affairs.
Army spokesman Sani Usman said in a statement late Saturday that five of the soldiers had been found, including the unit's commanding officer.
Using a 9mm handgun, the 18-year-old German-Iranian shot dead nine people, most of them fellow teenagers, before killing himself with a shot to the head.
The latest deaths come after the government on Tuesday reported fighting had claimed the lives of seven servicemen in the highest one-day death toll in the conflict for two months.
The G20 cited several other factors complicating the global economic environment, among them "geopolitical conflicts, extremism and refugee flows".
It said the talks were aimed at "finding solutions to the short, medium and long-term future of the Niger Delta region", home to the country's massive oil and gas resources.
Fears of a renewed eurozone debt crisis are rife on the financial markets if Italy does not address the 360 billion euros ($398 billion) in bad debt sitting in its banks.
Sources in Kadhimiya hospital, where the victims of Sunday's explosion were taken, said the death toll could rise as some of the wounded were in a critical condition.
Mauritania hosts the two-day Arab summit for the first time
Article in The Atlantic claims Turkey has 'no democracy for it to lose'
Co-chair of Turkish/EU lawmakers' committee says Europe should prevent Gulen Organization's activities
Graham Fuller, a former CIA chairman has refuted claims that Fethullah Gulen was the mastermind of the coup. Gulen fled Turkey to the US in 1999 after officials charged him with trying to overthrow the state
Assault rifles and heavy weapons used in South Sudan were sold by a Polish millionaire involved in illegal arms sales
Taiwanese nationals in Greece have been arrested for a telecom gambling ring
Right wing Hungarian PM has said that for the EU and Hungary, Trump is the "better option"