World Bulletin / News Desk
A proposal submitted by the Republican People's Party (CHP) to allow potential draftees to pay a specified amount of money in lieu of performing compulsory military service as a one-time only opportunity has created conflict between CHP leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu and Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, with the latter accusing the former of playing with young people's hopes.
The CHP is promising to reduce the duration of compulsory military service from the current 18 months to six months. Kılıçdaroğlu has also said the CHP will seek to pass legislation that would allow men attending university to serve in the military during the summers and in segments so that they can get this legal responsibility out of the way by the time they graduate.
Erdoğan said Kılıçdaroğlu's promises were "unrealistic" and even "farcical". “He now says they will have men serving in the military during the summer months. For military service to be serious it can't just be performed during the summer vacation. I am worried that perhaps Kılıçdaroğlu didn't do his military service,” he said, speaking at his party's parliamentary group meeting on Tuesday.
Also speaking at the parliamentary group meeting of his party on Tuesday, Kılıçdaroğlu remarked that just as Erdoğan's son once availed himself of the option of payment and an abbreviated period of service in lieu of full term of compulsory military service, the sons of this nation should also be able to do the same. “It was nice when your son was able to pay to serve a reduced military term under the guardianship of the governor [of the province in which he performed his military service]. Why are you disturbed at the possibility of this nation's sons serving their military service in the same way?” he asked.
The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) was the first political party to attempt to offer a one-time exemption scheme in return for payment for men who had not yet completed their military service, but it had to back down in the face of staunch opposition from Turkey's powerful military.
Elvan, then aged 14, got caught up in street battles in Istanbul between police and protesters on June 16
Turkish dailies on Wednesday mainly cover the death of Gezi protests victim after 269 days in coma, the release of the detained suspects in Ergenekon case and the killings in courthouses.
Plans to reconstruct the military barracks in its former spot in Taksim's Gezi Park caused much controversy last year, when activists occupied the park to prevent building work from being commenced.
More detainees in "Ergenekon" coup trial have been released as the maximum detention period is reduced.
Turkey and Niger signed agreements for cooperation in energy, infrastructure, health
Elvan was the sixth person to die in violence during nationwide protests in late May and June over Erdogan's plans to rebuild an Istanbul park
Israel's Netanyahu said he is hopeful for the restoration of diplomatic ties with Turkey.
Turkish parliament Speaker Cemil Cicek said “The biggest insult and the biggest disrespect that can be done to a society is accusing them of committing genocide, though it is not real.”
Muhammad Salih claims that followers of Fethullah Gulen are pushing to deport him from Turkey in return for a lift of restrictions on their activities in Uzbekistan.
Most Turkish dailies on Tuesday dedicated their front pages to the releases of detainees connected with Ergenekon case – an alleged coup plot – plus a Turkish Super League football match between Trabzonspor and Fenerbahce which was abandonded after fans threw flares and objects on to the pitch before clashing with police.
A court in Istanbul frees two more detainess of Ergenekon alleged coup attempt case, but one will still be detained pending his second case.
Two people, one man and one woman, have been shot in an attack at a courthouse in Istanbul's Caglayan district.
Bulgaria plans a gas pipeline connection to Turkey in order to diversify its natural gas resources.
Berkin Elvan, then aged 14, got caught up in street battles between police and protesters on June 16 after going out to buy bread for his family
In a statement, the ministry said navy forces moved to rescue the 48-year-old Turkish crew member after receiving a request for help from the ship crew.