European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton pledged support for rebels in east Libya on Sunday, making the most senior visit to the area by a foreign official since a revolt against Muammar Gaddafi began.
"I saw the posters on the way from the airport to here saying 'We have a dream' and I'm here today to explain not only about our short-term support but also the breadth of our support," Ashton said in the rebel stronghold of Benghazi.
Visiting to open a representative office for the EU, Ashton toured the square next to the Benghazi court house, epicentre of the revolt that erupted in mid-February.
Several Libyans surrounded her, flicking "V-for-Victory" signs. One man nearby said: "Every Libyan is very happy."
Ashton's visit "shows the increased support of the European Union in supporting us to have a democratic and free state", said the head of the Benghazi-based National Transitional Council, Mustafa Abdel Jalil.
"Tightening EU sanctions"
Ashton said she discussed support for health, education, civil society, border management and security reform.
"We seek to support, not just now, but for the future and as long as the people of this country wish us there," she said.
The most foreign senior visitor to visit the rebel-held region until now had been the Polish foreign minister, Radoslaw Sikorski, who travelled to Benghazi on May 11.
Western diplomatic sources told Reuters last week the EU was considering tightening sanctions on Gaddafi's government by blacklisting ports to prevent oil exports and fuel imports.
One source said EU experts had reached an agreement to put six ports -- Tripoli, Zuara, Zawiyah, Al-Khoms, Ras Lanuf and Brega -- on the list. Proposals could be submitted to the EU sanctions committee next week.
Another EU diplomat said the measure could be discussed by foreign ministers who meet in Brussels on Monday.
The revolt against the Libyan leader's rule has crippled the refining industry and Gaddafi urgently needs fuel imports. His government wants to raise fuel imports by using a loophole in international sanctions.
The clashes had broken out in Silwan neighborhood after Israeli troops raided the homes of the relatives of a Palestinian driver accused of running over and killing a baby and injuring eight people
A baby was killed and eight people were injured when a Palestinian driver ran over passengers in Jerusalem
It was the second flare-up this week and comes weeks after Britain and France agreed to improve border controls
A Canadian soldier was shot at the Canadian War Memorial in Ottawa and the parliament building attacked in which gunshots were fired
Widodo had originally planned to announce his cabinet of 33 ministers on Tuesday, said his team would be made up of 18 technocrats and 15 political appointees.
A 13-year-old boy was detained after hurling stones at Israeli cars in the Al-Tur neighborhood, three other Palestinian boys, aged between 14 and 16, were detained for throwing rocks at Israeli police vehicles in the Beit Hanina district.
Iranian demonstrators gather in front of Isfahan Department of Justice building to protest acid attacks against women in the street.
The Ansar al-Sharia group wrote on Twitter that its fighters had killed 30 Houthi militants in attacks on their homes in Rada'a city on Tuesday.
Iraq's Kurdish parliament unanimously votes to deploy Peshmerga forces in Syrian town of Kobani besieged by ISIL militants.
The attack sparked clashes between the settlers and local residents, which ended upon the arrival of Israeli army troops.
Palestinian negotiators still studying Egypt's proposed agenda for the upcoming talks.
Ozdil Nami warns of increasing tensions after Greek Cypriot Administration, Israel and Russia conduct military drills between Crete and Cyprus
There were no immediate reports on the number of casualties from the fighting there, but the militant advance appears to have been halted.
Crowds gathered at the U.N. base calling for peacekeepers to leave the town after two people were shot dead on Tuesday during a protest
The accused leader of the group, a Qatari man, was sentenced to 30 years in jail, after which he would be expelled from Saudi Arabia, while the other 12 were jailed for between 18 months and 18 years
Zoabi said the Syrian air force was searching for the third jet but had destroyed two of them, the first time Damascus has acknowledged that ISIL are flying the aircraft.