Turkey has withdrawn its bid to host 2013 Summer Deaflympics, world summer games for the deaf, and made a new bid to host the event in 2017, officials said on Thursday.
Organization of the 2013 Summer Deaflympics was given to Greece but Greek authorities had withdrawn due to financial crisis in the country.
Turkey made its bid for 2013 Summer Deaflympics after Greece announced to pull back. However, Turkish officials cancelled country's bid as Turkey would host the 2013 Mediterranean Games in the southern province of Mersin.
Oktay Aktas, head of Turkish Sports Federation for the Deaf, said that recent decision was made to avoid two overlapping international sports events in the country.
"We also thought that Mediterranean Games could steal all the interest," Aktas said. "We made our new application last week and it was accepted by the Deaflympic Committee."
The committee will choose the host countries for 2013 and 2017 at a meeting in Rome in mid-September.
The Deaflympics are the world's second oldest multiple sports games after the Olympics. The games are sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee, IOC. But unlike the athletes in all other IOC sanctioned games, including the Olympics, the Paralympics and the Special Olympics, the Deaflympians cannot be guided by starter's guns, bullhorn commands or referee whistles.
A total of 7 tests resulted as "negative" on mysterious letter spotted in Turkey's Foreign Ministry headquarters in Ankara
All measures for labor safety were taken, according to Turkey's Has Sekerler Mining Company
Kobani, the PKK and the 'paralell state' all feature on the agenda.
The “octopus” is a fast drainage system that can pump out 8,500 liters of water in a minute and can operate at a depth of 60 meters
Turkish dailies on Thursday cover the mine accident in central Turkey where 18 miners remain trapped because of a flood, as well as the crossing of peshmerga forces into Kobani via Turkey
Police trawl through CCTV footage after a man hits eleven cars with a rented vehicle before stabbing three people and escaping.
Turkish president says Ankara will use its experience 'in the name of humanity and for regional and global peace.'
Master Sergeant dies after armed attack Wednesday in southeastern Turkey.
Accident in central Turkey where flood trapped 18 miners is linked with employers failing to comply with regulations on workers' rights, President Erdogan said
Turkish ambassador to South Africa Kaan Esener said trade figures between the two countries had risen to $ 2.2 billion in 2013.
Speaking in conference in Turkey, Syrian National Coalition chief Bahra blames Assad regime for trying to foment sectarian rifts
The Kurdish regional government in Iraq has sent its peshmerga forces Wednesday through Turkey to combat ISIL militants in Kobani
A soldier killed during an armed attack in Turkey's southeastern province Diyarbakir...
Unwavering Turkish support for the oppressed people of Kashmir assured...
Turkey’s energy minister has said the lives of the divers will be at risk because of poor visibility in the water if they dived into the flooded mine
The reception at the Presidential Palace has been cancelled due to the mine accident in central Anatolia, where at least 18 miners remain trapped underground