World Bulletin/News Desk
PKK militants in southeast Turkey have released a British tourist kidnapped by the separatist militant over the weekend, security officials said on Monday.
The 35-year-old man was snatched from a bus on Saturday on the road to Bingol, a town in Turkey's restive mainly Kurdish region, the provincial governor of Diyarbakir, Mustafa Toprak, said.
Security officials told Reuters the man had been released on Sunday night, and the Dogan news agency quoted Toprak as saying he was being brought to Diyarbakir.
Security officials also said they had launched an operation to hunt down a band of up to 15 separatist militant from the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) believed to be the abductors.
In a separate incident on Monday, two Turkish soldier was killed in the Diyarbakir region when a landmine laid by rebels exploded.
Diyarbakir Governor Mustafa Toprak told the AA that "two soldiers were killed when they stepped on mine during an operation against terrorist organization PKK in Lice."
Operations have been under way, Toprak said.