World Bulletin / News Desk
Four former officers in a now dissolved Egyptian security agency were sentenced in absentia to life in prison on Thursday for torturing to death a man during investigations into the bombing of a church on New Year's Day 2011.
A fifth officer, the only one to attend the trial, was jailed for 15 years for his role in the death of Mohamed Sayyid Bilal, whose body was returned to his family a day after his arrest showing signs of torture and burns.
Bilal, 32 at the time of his death, was a Salafi Muslim.
Many other Salafis were rounded up following the bombing in Alexandria which killed 23 people and has still not been explained. Habib el-Adli, the interior minister at the time, accused the Army of Islam, a Gaza-based group, of carrying out the attack, something it quickly denied.
Following the uprising against Mubarak's 30 years in power, conspiracy theories circulated widely in Egypt that Adli himself had ordered the bombing. Both Adli and Mubarak were sentenced to life in prison earlier this month over the deaths of hundreds of protesters killed in the uprising.
"These verdicts are the beginning of the cleansing of the interior ministry of the corrupt people who squandered the dignity of the Egyptian people for 30 years," said Khalaf Bayoumi, the lawyer for Bilal's family.
Those convicted on Thursday were all members of State Security, an agency tantamount to Egypt's Stasi that was a hated symbol of Mubarak's rule. Its reputation for brutality helped fuel the uprising against Mubarak.
Judge Mohamed Mustafa Tirana gave life sentences to Hossam al-Shenawy, Osama al-Kunaysi, Ahmed Mustafa Kamal and Mohamed Abdel Aleem. Mohamed Abdel Rahman al-Shemi, the only one of the accused in court, was sentenced to 15 years in prison.
State Security was dissolved on March 15, weeks after Mubarak's Feb. 11 removal from power, after protesters stormed its headquarters.
"We have a complicated situation… We were not able to stitch it together to a final deal. That was a blow I think to everybody involved, and the question is what we can do now," Eide told reporters in Nicosia.
The migrants, mostly Africans and including two women and four children, were spotted off the coast of the capital Tripoli.
There was no claim of responsibility for the attack
Talks to focus on Turkey’s bid to join EU as well as counterterrorism, migration and visa liberalization
Emmanuel Macron to host mediation meeting between Libya's UN-backed premier, military rival
Thousands of Polish people demonstrated over amendments to widen government's authority over judiciary
French President Emmanuel Macron will host the meeting, the presidency said in a statement on Monday.
In addition to the dead, there were 28 injured -- 20 of them severely -- who were being treated at seven local hospitals, San Antonio Police Chief William McManus and Fire Chief Charles Hood told reporters.
The walk-out comes as violent and sometimes deadly protests continue amid a political and economic crisis that has led to shortages of basic goods and soaring inflation.
Three Palestinians from the Qalandiya Refugee Camp injured protesting Israel’s new restrictions at Al-Aqsa Mosque
Edgar Lungu expels ruling party members for insubordination, including one potential challenger for his seat
Book by former surgeon to South African statesman violates doctor-patient confidentiality, says Nelson Mandela's grandson
Israeli officials signalled they may be open to changing the measures at the Haram al-Sharif mosque compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, after the installation of metal detectors at entrances following an attack that killed two policemen stoked Palestinian anger.
Israel reportedly arrests senior Hamas leaders during overnight raids in occupied West Bank
Algeria has refused to classify Hamas or Muslim Brotherhood as terrorist organizations