World Bulletin / News Desk
Two people were taken into custody and detention warrants were issued for two others, including former head of the Higher Education Board (YÖK) Kemal Gürüz, on Friday as part of the sixth wave of operations in a deepening investigation into the Feb. 28, 1997 unarmed military intervention, popularly known as the postmodern coup.
This was the first time civilian figures had been targeted in a Feb. 28 operation.
The Specially Ankara Public Prosecutor’s Office announced that detention warrants had been issued for Gürüz and two former board members of the YÖK, identified as Sedat Arıtürk and Erdoğan Özmal, as well as retired Maj. Gen. Kenan Deniz. The suspects are all accused of playing a major role in the Feb. 28 coup, when the military forced a coalition government led by a now-defunct conservative party, the Welfare Party (RP), out of power. The detention warrants were issued for the suspects in accordance with the relevant article of the Turkish Penal Code (TCK) over charges of attempting to topple the government of the Turkish Republic, according to the prosecutor’s office.
Police raided the houses of Deniz and Arıtürk, and took the two men into custody in the afternoon on Friday. They also raided the house of Gürüz and Özmal, but failed to find them inside. The two detainees immediately underwent a health check-up, and then taken to the İstanbul Courthouse in Çağlayan neighborhood to be interrogated by prosecutors. The two men would later be sent to Ankara for a more detailed interrogation.
The Feb. 28 coup introduced a series of harsh restrictions on religious life, with an unofficial but widely practiced ban on the use of the headscarf. The military was also purged of members with suspected ties to religious groups or even officers who were simply observant Muslims. In addition, a number of newspapers were closed down after the coup based on an National Security Council (MGK) decision that called for closer monitoring of media outlets.
Around 60 people have already been imprisoned during the first five waves of arrests in the Feb. 28 investigation. Those sent to jail include Gen. Çevik Bir, who is known to have played a major role in the 1997 coup, and retired Gen. Erol Özkasnak, who was the secretary-general of the General Staff at the time. Özkasnak is also known to have played a major role in the coup generals' communication with the media, which was used in order to put pressure on the government to resign.
The blogger, writer and human rights activist began a hunger strike last week after claiming he had no access to a lawyer and had been "interrogated" on the content of his research.
Turkish foreign minister says Russian nationals will be able to stay in Turkey up to 90 days
At least four killed after strong winds hit several provinces across the country
Ex-diplomat Philippe Moreau Defarges makes controversial comment on French TV about assassination of Turkish president
People from all over Turkey and major cities of the world celebrate the special day; PM Yildirim visits Ataturk's mausoleum
Counter-terrorism operations in Sirnak province continue
Controversy casts doubt on the objectivity of OSCE after its members were accused of spying and supporting PKK
Turkish military also seizes several explosives, guns and artillery; 1 PKK collaborator captured
If EU does not accept new proposal, refugee deal to come to a standstill, EU Affairs Minister Omer Celik says
According to preliminary reports, an assailant has been killed in the blast in Suruc, Sanliurfa province
Analysts say passing of constitutional referendum should see near-term improvement in currency
Total number of returned refugees under Turkey-EU deal reaches 1,074
Thursday evening's shooting left one police officer dead and two others wounded
Weekly military operations report says 5 soldiers killed
Vladimir Putin, Recep Tayyip Erdogan will discuss situation in Syria, Kremlin spokesman says
March figures from Turkish Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges show yearly drop in new firms