World Bulletin/News Desk
The genocide trial of Bosnian Serb general Ratko Mladic will resume on July 9, with two weeks of hearings scheduled after it was suspended this month, the U.N. war crimes tribunal for the former Yugoslavia said on Friday.
Mladic, who was arrested in Serbia in May 2011 after 16 years on the run, is accused of genocide for his role in the siege of Bosnia's capital Sarajevo and for orchestrating the 1995 killing of 8,000 Muslims in Srebrenica.
Earlier this month, the Hague-based court said it had decided to suspend proceedings indefinitely because of an error in disclosing documents to the defence team.
Mladic, who has refused to enter a plea, is the last of the main figures in the Balkan wars of the 1990s to go on trial at the court.
Relatives of victims and survivors are worried that if the trial takes too long, Mladic, who is 70 and has suffered heart trouble, could die before a verdict is hand down.
Former Yugoslav strongman Slobodan Milosevic, who also faced genocide charges for the Balkan wars, died in 2006 before a judgment was issued.
Police claim that 16 year old Ali Abu Ghanim, 17, ran towards them with a knife after they were provoked by the Israeli troops.
Officials tell Anadolu Agency that the commander of 1st Division of Iraqi army and three others killed during heavy clashes.
UN envoy to Syria, Staffan de Mistura briefed the UNSC on the latest bid to find a political solution to the 4 year conflict.
A boat carrying 80 refugees broke down while carrying 80 African refugees off the southeast coast of Tunisia
Italian police believe the suspects were involved in the October 2009 bomb attack in the Pakistani city of Peshawar that killed over 100 people.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that a new system for asylum seekers needs to be in place for an equal distribution of refugees across European countries.
UN rights chief Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein has called on the media to act against xenophobia with "freedom of expression'" being used as a guise that recycles intolerance towards refugees.
Six people were killed and five others injured from the "Zaghawa Um-Kmelty" tribe in South Darfur on Thursday at the hands of peacekeepers from the joint African Union-United Nations mission in Darfur (UNAMID).
Racist incidents have more than tripled, say refugee organisations, with attacks on buildings that house foreigners also being attacked.
Eight Palestinians were hurt as the Israeli army dispersed tear gas with one Palestinian shot in the foot, while others were hit by rubber bullets
The European Union, drawing on its army of diplomats, aims to ensure that big emitters are "sensitised to the political importance of submitting an ambitious contribution" as early as possible, it says.
Kremlin says that US Congress had passed a Ukraine Freedom Support Act in 2014 which would allow for the provision of advanced weaponry.
Prosecutors blamed the Tunisian captain of a fishing boat for causing the deaths of hundreds of migrants locked below decks when his vessel capsized in the Mediterranean
Five people were killed and homes burnt down by Ugandan rebels in Congo, with 3 UN soldiers who were part of landmine investigative team were kidnapped.
The Consumers Association of Malawi have called for a boycott of South African products in response to attacks against African migrants in the country.
Interior Minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz has said that 14 out of the 115 citizens have been deported back to Spain, nine of whom are languishing in prison.