World Bulletin / News Desk
The Turkish Cabinet has convened for a critical meeting to discuss what measures Turkey should take in the wake of the downing of a Turkish jet in international airspace by Syria on Friday.
Unlike other Cabinet meetings, Air Forces Command Operations Unit head Maj. Gen. Ateş Mehmet İrez is also attending the meeting, which began on Monday afternoon. The meeting is intended to brief ministers on Friday's incident.
The Cabinet is expected to discuss what measures Turkey will take in response to Syria's downing of an F4 fighter jet. Government spokesperson and Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç is expected to call a press conference following the meeting.
Bringing tensions with Syria to a whole new level, Turkey said on Sunday that its military jet was shot down outside of Syrian territorial waters and dismissed the country's statements that it was not a hostile act. Ankara is also taking the dispute to NATO.
Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu, speaking in an interview with state broadcaster the Turkish Radio and Television Corporation (TRT), said he would formally present the incident to NATO this week and invoke Article 4 of its founding treaty, which provides for states to “consult together whenever, in the opinion of any of them, the territorial integrity, political independence or security of any of the parties is threatened.”
Soon after Davutoğlu's announcement on Sunday, NATO said envoys from member states will meet on Tuesday at Turkey's request for consultations concerning the downing of its military jet.
Turkish authorities also said search and rescue teams had located the wreckage of the plane 1,300 meters beneath the sea surface, adding that efforts are still under way to locate two missing pilots.
“We feel for the victims of the extremist attack,” Russian president says
Russian president welcomes letter from Turkish counterpart calling for restoration of friendly relations
President Erdogan and Prime Minister Yildirim expected to attend opening ceremony
Turkish and Russian leader, speaking on phone, agree to boost relations and cooperation with a face-to-face meeting
Death toll of the Atatürk airport attack rises to 41, including ten foreign nationals, local government office says
- According to governor's office, 10 foreign nationals and 3 others with dual Turkish citizenship among dead
President Erdogan and his Russian counterpart held a "positive" phone conversation on Wednesday, diplomatic source says.
Funds will be used to support Turkish Cypriot nation for improving public finance and real sector among host of areas
At least 36 people died in Tuesday night's triple suicide bombing at Ataturk airport, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said early Wednesday.
“This week we will start the process of ambassador appointment” between Turkey and Israel, Kalin told reporters in Ankara.
Malaysian leader calls for Muslim countries to unite in combating terror; countries share support for Turkey
There have been several bomb attacks in Turkey, with some of the worst since 1986 occurring in the last year
Turkish PM, first signs in Istanbul attack point to ISIL
'We remain steadfast in our support for Turkey, our NATO ally and partner,' White House says
At least 32 people have been killed and 147 injured after two attackers fired on passengers with explosions taking place at a control point
The latest terrorist attack at Istanbul's Ataturk airport has claimed the lives of 28 people, injuring dozens.