World Bulletin / News Desk
A Saudi court has sentenced 11 men to up to 15 years in prison for membership of a "terror" cell that planned to attack U.S. forces in Kuwait and state-owned Saudi oil giant Aramco, Saudi media reported on Wednesday.
The 11 were among thousands of people rounded up between 2003 and 2006.
Alriyadh newspaper said the sentences, handed down by the Specialised Criminal Court in the Saudi capital on Tuesday, ranged from two to 15 years in jail.
"The verdicts ... include 15 years in prison for the first defendant for joining a terror cell which targeted American forces in Kuwait and important Aramco sites," the newspaper said.
A spokesman from the Justice Ministry could not be reached for comment.
Last year, the Interior Ministry said 5,696 people had been detained by the authorities in "militant" cases, of whom 5,080 had already appeared in court.
Human rights groups say peaceful political activists have also been imprisoned in the kingdom's crackdown.
Only the government's Human Rights Commission (HRC), which reports to Saudi King Abdullah, and selected Saudi media can attend the trials, HRC and independent human rights campaigners said, demanding they be opened to a wider audience.
"The trials have to be open and transparent. In the absence of transparency I am not aware if there was due process," the president of the kingdom's Human Rights First Society, Ibrahim al-Mugaiteeb, told Reuters.
Last year a Saudi court gave 16 men long prison sentences for "funding terrorism" and conspiring with al Qaeda to seize power. Rights campaigners say the men had been peaceful activists for a constitutional monarchy and other reforms.
Swiss foreign ministry announces that it is going to be a mediator between the two rivals
In an exclusive interview with Anadolu Agency, former attorney-general of Syria's city of Tadmur says Assad regime and Russia -- in collusion with Daesh -- are working to destroy the ancient city
'The Syrian people continue to live in terror and utter despair after the international community has failed to prevent the gravest crimes,' head of the High Negotiation Committee says
Assad's departure 'is a matter of time... sooner or later, this regime will fall, opening the way for building a new Syria without Bashar al-Assad,' Adel al-Jubeir says
'We will take necessary actions in due time,' an Iranian general says
'Two employees, including a 14-year-old boy, were killed and 15 others wounded in the overnight air raid,' a factory owner says
Munich deal may collapse soon if Assad regime and its allies, Russia and Iran, do not comply with it, Washington-based experts predict
'The Saudi kingdom now has a presence at Incirlik airbase in Turkey,' Saudi defense official reports
Following a defence ministers meeting in Brussels, US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter has said that NATO is considering joining the US-led coalition against ISIL
Army targets Nusra Front positions near Lebanese town of Arsal near border with Syria, local security source tells Anadolu Agency
An armored security vehicle struck a bomb near northern Sinai Peninsula's Sheikh Zuweid city
Relations between Israel, European Union back on track, Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman says
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, has said that Saudi Arabia will be sending aircraft to Incirlik to fight ISIL.
High Negotiations Committee calls for regime, Russia to demonstrate commitment on ground
Turkish foreign minister says Russian bombs killed 16 civilians morning after Munich agreement
‘We need to see an end to the support for Assad that, frankly, is only exacerbating the situation,’ says State Dept.