World Bulletin / News Desk
Egypt's armed forces chief will keep his post as defence minister in a new cabinet to be formed by President-elect Mohamed Mursi, a member of the military council said.
Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, 76, who served as defence minister for two decades under ousted leader Hosni Mubarak, will keep his post after Egypt's first Islamist president takes over, Major-General Mohamed Assar said in a rare appearance on a talk show on privately-owned CBC television on Wednesday night.
"The (new) government will have a defence minister who is head of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces," he said.
Asked if this meant Tantawi would keep his defence portfolio, Assar said: "Exactly. What is wrong with that? He is the head of the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, the defence minister and the commander of the armed forces."
Tantawi effectively pushed the 84-year-old Mubarak aside on Feb. 11 last year when it became clear the security forces could not contain street protests against his 30-year rule.
The republic's past presidents, all drawn from the military, have had the title of supreme commander of the armed forces.
Yet Assar's assertion that Tantawi would remain in place even before Mursi has been sworn in on Saturday illustrates the limits the military seeks to set on his presidential authority.
The army council backed a supreme court decision on June 14 to dissolve the Islamist-dominated parliament on the grounds that rules were broken during its election six months ago.
The military council then assumed legislative powers, which Assar said it would exercise until a new assembly is elected.
In another of several actions which the Muslim Brotherhood denounced as a military coup before Mursi's election win was confirmed on Sunday, the council also named a newly created National Defence Council to run defence and foreign policies.
Although Mursi and his future prime minister will also serve on the council, they will be outnumbered by the generals in a body whose decisions will be taken by majority vote.
Assar insisted that Mursi, a 60-year-old U.S.-trained engineer, would have full presidential prerogatives, even as he set an apparent limit on his right to decide on war or peace.
"The president is the head of state with full powers. The president makes a decision to go to war in consultation with the military rulers," Assar said, adding that this was normal practice in other countries, including the United States.
Suspect linked to arms cache found in Northern Ireland, local media reports
President of Kurdish region says agreement will not damage students
Reports of Pravin Gordhan's potential arrest lead to market turmoil
Ten Iraqi soldiers were killed in a suicide bombing in Qayyara
Iraqi forces are preparing to capture Mosul from ISIL group
A research paper has exposed the activities of Russian-funded organizations in Europe whose goal is to “shift European public opinion towards a positive view of Russian politics and policies, and towards respect for its great power ambitions.”
Javad Zarif expresses Iranian business sector interest in construction of inter-ocean canal
Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto says Hungary is continuing investigation into Gulenist-linked schools and individuals
NATO has been stationing troops in eastern Europe for months, in response to Russia's actions however communication is open to prevent a potential conflict
In a disgraceful incident, French police threatened a Muslim woman with pepper spray before forcing her to strip off her burkini whilst she was on a Nice beach with her family
Russian President Vladimir Putin, will watch a friendly match with President Erdogan to be played in Antalya at the end of the month
State Dept. spokesman says Washington now considering request by Ankara for extradition of FETO leader facing coup charges
US Vice President has departed Latvia, but not before assuring a pledge of support for NATO allies and slamming Trump, saying that he should not be taken seriously
Group that includes active general murdered victims, falsified records, authorizes say
Adil Oksuz donated $5,000 to Clinton two years ago via a fictitious company, USA Today report says
FBI investigating alleged attacks by Russian government, according to sources speaking to CNN