World Bulletin / News Desk
The Turkish military has said search and rescue efforts to recover the wreckage of a jet downed by Syria last Friday and its two pilots have so far turned up very little.
The General Staff said in a statement posted online on Thursday that five military ships and four search and rescue helicopters have been searching for the jet since Friday. The statement said teams have been working around the clock, but neither the pilots nor the wreckage have been located. The military added that they have only been able to find some pieces of the jet and some of the pilots' possessions.
Minister of Transportation, Maritime Affairs and Communications Binali Yıldırım said on Tuesday that the pilots' helmets were found during search and rescue efforts, a sign that, experts say, could indicate the pilots ejected before the aircraft crashed into the water.
A Turkish jet was shot down by Syrian forces while flying solo and unarmed 13 miles off the coast of Syria in international airspace last Friday. However, Syria still maintains the aircraft was in Syrian airspace when it shot down the plane. Syria, which joined in Turkish efforts to locate the wreckage and pilots, earlier claimed that it handed the tail section of the plane over to Turkey and that it bears visible bullet holes, evidence that it was shot down by short-range weapons and thus in Syrian airspace.
“We feel for the victims of the extremist attack,” Russian president says
Russian president welcomes letter from Turkish counterpart calling for restoration of friendly relations
President Erdogan and Prime Minister Yildirim expected to attend opening ceremony
Turkish and Russian leader, speaking on phone, agree to boost relations and cooperation with a face-to-face meeting
Death toll of the Atatürk airport attack rises to 41, including ten foreign nationals, local government office says
- According to governor's office, 10 foreign nationals and 3 others with dual Turkish citizenship among dead
President Erdogan and his Russian counterpart held a "positive" phone conversation on Wednesday, diplomatic source says.
Funds will be used to support Turkish Cypriot nation for improving public finance and real sector among host of areas
At least 36 people died in Tuesday night's triple suicide bombing at Ataturk airport, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said early Wednesday.
“This week we will start the process of ambassador appointment” between Turkey and Israel, Kalin told reporters in Ankara.
Malaysian leader calls for Muslim countries to unite in combating terror; countries share support for Turkey
There have been several bomb attacks in Turkey, with some of the worst since 1986 occurring in the last year
Turkish PM, first signs in Istanbul attack point to ISIL
'We remain steadfast in our support for Turkey, our NATO ally and partner,' White House says
At least 32 people have been killed and 147 injured after two attackers fired on passengers with explosions taking place at a control point
The latest terrorist attack at Istanbul's Ataturk airport has claimed the lives of 28 people, injuring dozens.