World Bulletin / News Desk
Islamist fighters declared on Thursday they had secured full control of Mali's desert north, a day after pushing their former Tuareg MNLA separatist allies out of the town of Gao in a gun battle that killed at least 20 people.
The local Ansar Dine group had already gained the upper hand in the northern town of Kidal and the ancient trading post of Timbuktu after government forces were routed in an April rebel advance.
"Our men control all three of the towns in northern Mali," Oumar Ould Hamaha, a Timbuktu-based Ansar Dine official said of the mostly desert territory which is larger than France.
"They (the MNLA) all ran away, we decided not to pursue them. ... All I can tell you is that they are not even in the outskirts the city," Hamaha said of the battle in Gao.
The separatist National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad - the northern territory it claims as an independent state - said its forces beat a tactical retreat in Gao on Wednesday and rejected suggestions they had lost the battle.
"Right now some MNLA units, stationed at the borders of Azawad, are coming back to completely rid the city of Gao of Islamist groups that are terrorising the population," MNLA spokesman Mossa Ag Attaher said in a written statement.
The battle was a culmination of weeks of tension between the MNLA and local Islamists who had helped it take control of northern Mali after government forces were left without a command following a March 22 coup.
The two factions had an uneasy power sharing arrangement after seizing control of the territory.
A Timbuktu resident said on Thursday that MNLA fighters who had been stationed at the city's airport and port had now even abandoned those positions.
Ansar Dine's Hamaha said more than 22 MNLA fighters including a top colonel had been killed during the Gao battle, while three of their fighters had died in combat.
He added that MNLA leader Bilal Ag Acherif had been injured and evacuated to neighbouring Burkina Faso. MNLA's Attaher declined to confirm the identities or number of casualties but a Burkinabe security source confirmed he had been injured.
"He was injured in a mortar attack and was bleeding a lot from the ear, but we managed to stop the bleeding," he said.
Jose Carreira, executive director of the European Asylum Support Office (EASO), said at least four containers where interviews were conducted were entirely destroyed, and three more were damaged.
After the weekend run-off vote, which followed a first round on October 9, the centrist Lithuanian Peasants and Green Union party LGPU) ended up with 54 seats in the 141-member parliament.
A document signed by Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev and published Monday on a government online portal confirmed the resignation of deputy sports minister Yury Nagornykh.
Flags at half-mast after derailment that left 79 dead
The pact, known as the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), would link the EU market of 500 million people, the world's biggest, with the tenth largest global economy.
The army says 772 ISIL militants were killed in battles
Omar al-Bashir, 72, flies to Saudi Arabia after cancelled appearance on Sunday
Democratic Alliance says government did not debate the issue inside the parliament
No survivors from crash of Luxembourg-registered plane, which was bound for Libya
The meeting will see Britain's decision to leave the EU take centre stage, ahead of the formal negotiations with Brussels which are expected to begin next year.
Rutba city was captured by Iraqi forces from ISIL six weeks ago
"They were released Sunday afternoon," three days after the Palestinian security forces took them into custody, the official told AFP on condition of anonymity.
There were no initial reports of any casualties after a rocket was fired from the coastal enclave towards Israel earlier in the morning
Belgium has been given until Monday to resolve a disagreement holding back the CETA trade deal with Canada
In one such camp on the side of the road, Dominique Pierre-Louis is trying to start a motorcycle covered in mud.