World Bulletin / News Desk
A court sentenced Fenerbahce chairman Aziz Yildirim to more than six years in jail on Monday in a match-fixing trial which has caused turmoil in Turkey but released him from custody pending an appeals court ruling.
Yildirim was among several 93 defendants, including club executives and players, convicted in a case closely watched by European football's ruling body UEFA.
"They are trying to use Fenerbahce to clean the dirt in the matches. I say now as I did at the start: even if we are on the gallows, our last word is Fenerbahce," Yildirim said before the verdict was announced.
The court sentenced Yildirim to three years and nine months for match-fixing and two years and six months for forming an illegal organisation but then released him taking into account the year he has already spent in jail on remand.
He was also fined 1.3 million lira ($720,000) and was banned from club management and watching matches. Other Fenerbahce executives were also convicted, as were a former coach and executive from rival Istanbul club Besiktas.
Yildirim's lawyer said he would launch an appeal.
Hundreds of Fenerbahce supporters outside the court in central Istanbul, many dressed in the club's blue and yellow shirts, celebrated the news the chairman was going to be released.
Fans later gathered in front of Metris jail in Istanbul to give Yildirim a rapturous welcome as he emerged from prison.
A tearful Yildirim, a Fenerbahce flag wrapped around his neck, shook the hands of well-wishers and waved to the crowd.
Fenerbahce shares, which rallied more than eight percent after his release, were down 0.45 percent in afternoon trading.
Yildirim has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, arguing the allegations were designed to undermine the 18-times Turkish champions.
The affair erupted last July when police raids led to the detention of dozens of people including Yildirim.
The trial began in February and a verdict was reached at uncharacteristic speed for the normally slow-moving Turkish judicial system.
Former Giresunspor chairman Olgun Peker was sentenced to two years jail for crimes including forming a criminal gang. Like Yildirim and the two other defendants who were still held in custody until Monday's hearing, he was set free pending appeal.
The Sivasspor chairman and former coach Bulent Uygun were also convicted along with players Gokcek Vederson, Ibrahim Akin and Mehmet Yildiz who received sentences of less than one year.
Fenerbahce were barred from the Champions League last season and there had been media speculation the club could be stripped of the domestic title and relegated to a lower league.
In January, the Turkish Football Federation (TFF) chairman and his two deputies quit over the TFF's failure to agree on how to punish clubs caught up in the match-fixing allegations.
The federation's disciplinary committee in May imposed bans of between one and three years on 10 players and officials but did not take action against any clubs.
The indictment named eight clubs, including Fenerbahce, Besiktas and Trabzonspor and 14 players among the defendants.
It referred to around a dozen matches including Fenerbahce's 4-3 victory over Sivasspor which clinched the league championship on the final day of the season in 2011.
($1 = 1.8097 Turkish liras)
Airstrikes kill pair in ongoing operation in Tunceli province, local official says
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim says troops at Bashiqa called on to provide support fire for Peshmerga
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says Turkish special forces could support Iraqi offensive but dismisses wider role
Yildirim says AK Party also plans to issue 5-year terms for deputies
Turkish president says military must go to ISIL-held Al-Bab city
Prime Minister Binali Yildirim says referendum will determine reforms as early as April
The cats of Turkey are something else, and in this video, an elderly man feeds a cat water at a mosque whilst he was performing his ablution
Turkish General Staff says FSA fighters were killed in offensive to retake villages in Mare district, near Al-Bab
Militants take three Turkmen families hostage in Iraq’s northern city of Kirkuk, local official tells Anadolu Agency
Bilal Eksi will replace him, leaving his position at the country's civil aviation authority
Terrorists throw Molotov cocktail in Van province school
Defense ministry sources say Turkey wants to see armed groups pull back to east of Euphrates River
Security forces also destroy a vehicle loaded with three tons of explosives in Savur, Mardin province
Turkey has appointed a permanent Imam at the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople.
U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said he would stress the need to respect Iraq's sovereignty during a visit on Friday to Turkey
Sibel Ozturk braves the horrors of war, racing against time to save lives in northern Syria