World Bulletin / News Desk
The head of Germany's domestic intelligence service resigned on Monday after admitting that his agency had shredded files on a neo-Nazi cell believed to have killed 10 people, mostly of Turkish origin, over several years.
Heinz Fromm's resignation is the latest in a series of embarrassing setbacks for Germany's security services over their handling of the "National Socialist Underground" (NSU), which went undetected for more than a decade despite its murder of 10 people, mostly ethnic Turkish immigrants.
An interior ministry spokesman confirmed that Fromm would quit his post, which he has held since 2000, at the end of July.
German media have said an official working in the intelligence agency is suspected of having destroyed files on an operation to recruit far-right informants just one day after the involvement of the NSU in the murders became public.
Fromm told the Spiegel weekly that the shredding of files in the case had done grave damage to the reputation of his agency, known in Germany as the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution.
Despite his resignation, Fromm is expected to appear as a witness in the NSU case before a parliamentary committee later this week, lawmaker Sebastian Edathy said.
Germans, burdened by their Nazi past, were mortified by last year's news that three neo-Nazis had been behind the killings of eight ethnic Turks, an ethnic Greek and a police officer in a period running from 2000 to 2007.
The NSU cell's culpability only came to light after two of the neo-Nazis committed suicide following a botched bank robbery last autumn. A third member was later arrested.
Chancellor Angela Merkel publicly apologised to the families of the murder victims for the catalogue of neglect and errors that allowed the NSU cell to operate with impunity for so long.
Kyiv claims Russian-backed separatist have used heavy armor in several assaults
The 'peshmerga-led ground offensive, backed by international coalition warplanes' has started
Ambitious scheme comes amid fears for country's oil production as militants attack infrastructure in Niger Delta
'Based on current assessment, cancelling or changing the location of the 2016 Olympics will not significantly alter the international spread of Zika virus,' the WHO says
The convention this year honors the holy Quran, and speakers address everyday challenges facing US Muslims
'Common religion and mutual sympathy unite our peoples and help us overcome difficulties,' says Russia's president
In the third attack in 72 hours, militants bomb another gas pipeline in the volatile delta region
Abdel-Fattah Sharif was killed two months ago by Israeli soldier despite being unarmed and injured at the time
Residents fleeing Fallujah suffer from ISIL and from random shelling by Iraqi warplanes
After closure of Idomeni camp, new sites lack sufficient food, water, toilets, showers, and power, says UN spokesperson
Early Saturday morning armed groups attacked the Nembe pipeline carrying crude exports.
Tribal chief says al-Hashd al-Shaabi blew up two mosques and looted dozens of homes in al-Karma city
Mobile game designed to raise awareness of Gaza attack overcomes challenges by Apple over political content
The World Health Organization (WHO) has rejected a call to move or postpone this summer's Rio Olympic Games over the Zika outbreak.
Donald Trump has hit back at Trump after he said that he would "cancel" the Paris climate deal in his first major speech on energy policy.