World Bulletin / News Desk
Bahrain has charged 15 policemen with "mistreatment" of prisoners, the government said on Tuesday, as part of an investigation into reports of torture of protesters.
Bahrain's human rights record has come under scrutiny since the authorities crushed Shi'ite Muslim-led demonstrations demanding democratic reform in the Sunni-ruled country that broke out in February 2011, inspired by Arab revolts elsewhere.
"The latest complaints were made during the month of June and nine of the complainants have already been questioned, resulting in three of them being referred to forensic doctors," Nawaf Hamza, head of the Public Prosecution's Special Investigation Unit, said in a statement.
"As a result 15 policemen have been questioned and informed of the charges against them. The investigation of the remaining complaints and those involved is ongoing."
The latest charges come after policemen accused of mistreatment of detainees and use of excessive force were sentenced to five years in prison, the IAA said. It did not say how many policemen were sentenced.
The IAA had said in June that 19 security personnel were being investigated, including some officers, and that two officers were sentenced to three months in prison last month.
A commission of international legal experts reported in November that torture had been systematically used to punish and extract confessions from hundreds of protesters during a period of martial law after a crackdown on anti-government protests.
It also said that 35 people, mainly protesters, died during the unrest and that five of them died as a result of torture.
Although Bahraini security forces, backed by Saudi troops, broke up a mass protest camp in Manamain March 2011, police and demonstrators continue to clash almost daily. Each side blames the other for the violence.
Bahrain has put several police officers on trial for abuse and lethal torture, but international rights groups and opposition activists say the government is avoiding accountability at higher, policy-making levels.
Last month Bahrain's interior minister said that police had been given no orders to torture or kill protesters.
ISIL has taken full control of Gardabiya, the main airport in Sirte after clashes with troops loyal to the Libyan government.
ISIL is set on dividing the Arabian peninsula and increasing sectarian violence in the region.
At least 85 civilians reported killed after government forces carry out raids in Aleppo province, monitoring group says.
The Syrian regime has evacuated the Deir ez-Zor museum's contents to an unknown destination.
Mohamed Soltan, the son of senior Muslim Brotherhood leader Salah Soltan was released from an Egyptian prison after relinquishing his Egyptian nationalityand is on his way to the USA.
Syrian government forces have evacuated Ariha as the alliance of opposition forces have advanced upon the Syrian town of Ariha which borders Turkey
The Houthi have abducted Yemeni lawyer Ahmed al-Hajj and three of his sons from his home in Ibb province.
Qatar will open an embassy in Baghdad, Iraq's foreign minister said Friday.
ISIL has claimed responsibility for the suicide attack at the entrance of a mosque in Saudi Arabia today.
A nine year $12 billion dollar petrochemical project will be built in the Iranian city of Chabahar.
Iran has shared a very limited amount of information with the IAEA with no breakthrough in its inquiry regarding Iran's nuclear plans.
The bomb detonated outside Imam Hussein mosque in the city of al-Dammam during the Friday sermon.
The UN aid chief in her final briefing to Security Council, has painted a disturbed picture of the savagery of the war.
Saudi-led coalition warplanes struck Houthi militias in Yemen on Friday
The EU has extended the sanction over Syria for another year, also adding a senior official to its sanctions list.
Israel already gets at least $3 billion annually from Washington however fears over an Iran deal has seen a request from Israel to the US to increase the spending.