World Bulletin / News Desk
The Pakistani Taliban opponent group said they woould not allow US trucks carrying military supplies to NATO troops in occupied Afghanistan to cross the territory after Islamabad and Washington reached a deal to re-open the lines.
"We will attack NATO supplies all over Pakistan. We will not allow anyone to use Pakistani soil to transport supplies that will be used against the Afghan people," the group's spokesman told Reuters by telephone from an undisclosed location.
Pakistan and the United States reached a deal on Tuesday to reopen land.
"No full apology"
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, in a telephone call with Pakistani Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar, "apologized" for a November NATO air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers last November and prompted an infuriated Islamabad to slam the supply routes closed.
"We are sorry for the losses suffered by the Pakistani military. We are committed to working closely with Pakistan and Afghanistan to prevent this from ever happening again," Clinton said in a statement following the conversation.
Khar, in turn, informed Clinton that Pakistan would reopen the supply routes and, in a major concession to the United States, would not follow through on vows to dramatically hike the transit fees.
U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, who said last month that Washington was losing patience with Pakistan.
In an interview with Reuters, Panetta all but ruled out an apology to Pakistan over the NATO air strike.
Clinton's careful statement was not the full-throated apology that Pakistan demanded for the deadly November attack, but went further than Washington had before in expressing regret for an incident that NATO described as an unfortunate accident.
"Foreign Minister Khar and I acknowledged the mistakes that resulted in the loss of Pakistani military lives," Clinton said, adding that she had reiterated U.S. regrets for the deaths of the soldiers and offered condolences to their families.
Teacher Muhammed Furkan Sokmen, his wife and their two-year-old daughter were stopped at Yangon airport on Wednesday evening as they tried to board a plane to Bangkok.
Police said they were working to track down and arrest Galagodaatte Gnanasara, head of the radical Buddhist Force or BBS, after he went into hiding.
Generals are among those sent to jail over failure to prevent ISIL attack on hospital in Kabul that left 50 people dead
Defense minister defends controversial practice, but human rights activist says army acts like it is above the law
We fear for our lives as we may get caught in crossfire or may get victimized by warrantless arrests: Marawi city resident
"We ordered the service providers late Wednesday to suspend internet services as outsiders... were instigating locals with WhatsApp and Facebook posts," senior police officer Bablu Kumar told AFP.
"The relevant action taken by the US vessel undermines China's sovereignty and security interests," foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang told a press briefing.
Cho Eun-Hwa, a 17-year-old girl from Danwon High School, was named by the maritime ministry in a statement.
Police are yet to make any arrests in connection with more than a dozen arson attacks against Muslims shops, mosques and a burial ground in the past month.
Abductees are teachers in Chinese language center in provincial capital Quetta, police say
Cathedral of Our Lady Help also burned by ISIL-linked militants in southern city of Marawi
Philippines need modern weapons to fight militants, Duterte says
The announcement, made by his spokesman at a press conference in Moscow where Duterte was on an official visit, fulfils an often-repeated warning by the president that he would enforce military rule to quell security threats.
Jakarta’s former governor Purnama was awarded two-year imprisonment on charges of blasphemy
Muslim leaders build Islamic school in troubled Mindanao to help government’s anti-terror campaign