World Bulletin / News Desk
Syria's conflict spilled further into Lebanon on Saturday when mortar fire from government forces crashed into villages in the north, killing two women and a man after rebels crossed the border for refuge, residents said.
In contrast with Turkey, which openly harbours rebels fighting to topple Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Lebanon was not expected to respond militarily and has played down the effect of regular clashes along the frontier.
But rebels have used north Lebanon as a base and Assad's forces have at times bombed villages and even crossed the border in pursuit of fighters, threatening to inflame tensions in Lebanon given a long history of Syrian domination there.
Residents of Lebanon's Wadi Khaled region said several mortar bombs hit farm buildings five to 20 km (3 to 12 miles) from the border at around 2 a.m. At midday villagers reported more explosions and said they heard gunfire close to the border.
In the village of al-Mahatta, a house was destroyed, killing a 16-year-old girl and wounding a two-year old and a four-year old, family members told Reuters. A 25-year-old woman and a man were killed in nearby villages, residents said.
The Lebanese army issued a brief statement about the incident. There was no immediate response from the prime minister or the foreign ministry, both of whom have expressed fears that Lebanon could be dragged into the conflict.
Turkey reinforced its border and scrambled fighter aircraft on several occasions last week after Syria shot down a Turkish warplane on June 22.
In Syria, the army bombarded towns across northern Aleppo province on Saturday in a concerted effort to root out insurgents who have taken control of some areas, the anti-government Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
"The bombing is the heaviest since the start of military operations in rural Aleppo in an attempt to control the region after regular Syrian army forces suffered heavy losses over the past few months," the British-based activist group reported.
It said three people had died, including two rebels.
The Observatory said many families had been displaced and water, electricity and medical supplies were running short.
Russia, China hit back at Clinton
Aleppo, Syria's second largest city and commercial hub, has been largely spared of the violence. But the outskirts of the city and the wider province have seen rebels gaining territory since the uprising began 16 months ago.
Opposition activists say at least 15,000 people have been killed over that time. Assad says the rebels are foreign-backed terrorists who have killed thousands of army and police troops in hit-and-run attacks and roadside bombings.
Residents say rebels have set up checkpoints along roads in the Aleppo region and in some towns the army is confined to barracks.
The Observatory said 93 people, mostly civilians, were killed across Syria on Friday, when protesters took the streets to call for a "people's liberation war."
Opposition activists said they feared for the lives of the residents of Khan Sheikhoun after the army seized control of the rebel stronghold in the northern Idlib province on Friday in an assault with helicopter gunships.
On the diplomatic front, China on Saturday joined Russia in rejecting U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's accusation that Beijing and Moscow have hindered efforts to bring about a peaceful resolution of the crisis in Syria.
Any attempt to "slander" China was doomed to fail, it said.
Clinton had urged Assad's international opponents meeting in Paris on Friday to make Russia and China "pay a price" for helping the authoritarian leader keep power in Damascus.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin said Clinton's comments were "totally unacceptable".
"Any words and deeds that slander China and sow discord between China and other countries will be in vain," he said.
Thousands of families have fled their homes in the past two weeks due to heavy fighting between government forces and rebels and many face food shortages, the United Nations said on Friday.
Late on Friday, about 300 refugees, including about 30 military personnel, crossed into Turkey at the border at Bukulmez in Hatay province, according to a Reuters cameraman.