World Bulletin/News Desk
Survivors of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre marched through the hills of eastern Bosnia on Sunday to re-enact their escape from Serb forces led by General Ratko Mladic, demanding a swift conviction in his genocide trial which resumes on Monday.
The massacre, often described as Europe's worst atrocity since World War Two, involved the slaughter of 8,000 Muslim men and boys captured after Bosnian Serb forces overran the United Nations-protected enclave in July 1995.
About 15,000 men and boys managed to escape and fled through the woods, but many were easy prey for the Serb army who shelled and ambushed them or lured them to surrender disguised as U.N. soldiers.
Dzemail Becirovic, 53, was among about 4,000 marchers who marched through the heat on Sunday.
"Once again I feel absolutely the same (as in 1995) and I do not think I will ever forget it. The scenes I have been through haunt me day and night," he said.
"It is good that Mladic's trial will resume ... The sooner the better. I had been convinced for years that he would stay at large, but thank God, the time has come for him to face the crimes he committed."
It took Rasid Dervisevic, 53, seven days of trekking through the dense woods in hunger and fear in 1995 before he reached safety. Every year he joins the 110 km (68-mile) march that starts three days before the July 11 massacre anniversary.
"Emotions are running high. It is like going through the same ordeal again," he said, remembering the 68 men and boys from his village of Dimici near Srebrenica who were killed, including family members.
"Though they did not make it through the hills, each time I pass this route I feel like they are still with me," Dervisevic told Reuters. Seventeen years later, he still has nightmares.
Haunted by atrocities
Bosnian Serb army commander Mladic, who personally witnessed the capture of Srebrenica, was arrested in Serbia in May 2011 after 16 years on the run. He is accused of genocide for orchestrating the massacre and for his role in the siege of Bosnia's capital Sarajevo.
His genocide trial at the U.N. war crimes tribunal in The Hague will resume on July 9, with two weeks of hearings scheduled after it was suspended last month because of an error in disclosing documents to the defence team.
But for Dervisevic it comes too late. "Unfortunately, those who stand behind the crimes still deny that Srebrenica was genocide. After so many years, this trial has become a farce," he said.
Radovan Karadzic, leader of the Bosnian Serb government during the 1992-1995 Bosnian war, is also on trial before the war crimes tribunal.
Many Bosnian Muslims hope both men will live long enough to hear their verdict, unlike their mentor, former Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic, who died in The Hague during his trial.
The remains of 520 newly identified Srebrenica victims, most of them exhumed from dozens of remote unmarked mass graves, will be re-buried during a ceremony on Wednesday.
The International Commission for Missing Persons has so far identified more than 7,000 Srebrenica victims.
Attack increases May death toll of police patrolling Somali border to 20, suspected victims of al-Shabaab attacks
Two people were found dead in the town of Kansk in Russia's Siberian Krasnoyarsk region, according to investigators in the region, who said a fire spread in the area due to hot weather and strong wind.
Trump, whose own election last year shocked the pollsters, said Macron "ran an incredible campaign and had a tremendous victory. All over the world they’re talking about it."
He and Merkel had sent a joint message of condolence to the families of those killed in the Monday attack during a concert by US pop star Ariana Grande, he added.
Speaking ahead of her departure for a NATO summit in Brussels, May said she would "make clear to President (Donald) Trump that intelligence which is shared between our law enforcement agencies must remain secure".
One woman arrested by armed police on Wednesday was released a few hours later without charge, leaving 10 men still in custody Thursday, including suspected killer Salman Abedi's father and brother in Libya.
Police said they were serving warrants linked to unrelated criminal investigations when they came under gunfire at the Santa Lucia farming estate, some 860 kilometers (530 miles) from Belem, capital of Para state.
28-member alliance pledges more intelligence support in the fight against ISIL, but rules out combat role
Trump faced protests on his arrival in Brussels, but he is getting a red-carpet welcome from Western allies eager to persuade him that his earlier criticisms of them were misplaced.
Leaks by US officials to media ‘arrogant, wrong and disrespectful to Greater Manchester’, mayor says
The huge social network said that the new design will offer a "carousel" with a variety of websites.
"Trump not welcome" said banners waved by the crowd, which police said numbered around 9,000. Organisers put the size of the demonstration at 12,000.
Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka had demanded the sacking of Andrej Babis, the billionaire founder of the sprawling Agrofert conglomerate, accusing him of tax evasion and multiple conflicts of interest.
Attorney general Luisa Ortega said in a public speech that 55 people have been killed so far in the unrest: 52 civilians and three police.
Corruption was widespread under longtime president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, who was ousted in a 2011 uprising, and has remained endemic since.
Rudd complained to the US Department of Homeland Security and other intelligence branches about leaks to US media of details of the probe into the deadly Monday attack and the bomber's identity that had not yet been made public.