World Bulletin / News Desk
Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez declared himself fully recovered from cancer on Monday, three months before an election in which he is seeking another six-year term.
"Free, free, totally free," he told reporters when asked if he was free of the disease that struck a year ago.
The 57-year-old socialist leader was first diagnosed with cancer in the pelvic region in mid-2011. He wrongly declared himself cured at the end of that year before having a recurrence of the disease in February.
But after repeated cycles of treatment in Cuba and Venezuela, Chavez is once again declaring himself fully fit at a crucial time when his health is the main wild card before the Oct. 7 presidential vote.
Perceptions of Chavez's ability to campaign for the election, and govern afterwards, are crucial among voters in what could be one of Venezuela's tightest elections of recent times.
At a four-hour news conference that offered more evidence of Chavez's increasing energy levels, he promised to begin campaigning on the streets with a series of caravans in provincial Venezuela from Thursday.
"Now is when I'm stepping into the action. Our offensive begins right now!" said an ebullient Chavez, who disappeared for long periods during treatment over the last year but has been back dominatingVenezuela's airwaves in recent weeks.
"Chavez is back in the street, the Bolivarian hurricane!" he added, referring to his spiritual idol and Venezuela's independence hero, Simon Bolivar.
Despite Chavez's optimism, doctors say it is impossible to be sure someone is completely cured until at least a couple of years have passed since the last recurrence of cancer.
The former soldier is leading most opinion polls by double digits.
Capriles, a 39-year-old, center-left former governor, has been criss-crossing Venezuela on a "house-by-house" tour in a show of youth and energy that the opposition has been using to contrast with the ailing Chavez, 57.
The president, though, who was famous for his whirlwind on-the-street campaigning of the past, appears to be recovering his energy levels just in time.
"Every day, I feel in better physical condition and I strongly believe ... it is not going to be a determining factor in this campaign," he told reporters. "I'm a veteran of 100 battles and I feel in great moral, spiritual and physical conditions for this fight that is starting."
Turkish PM pays two-day visit to Kazakhstan to discuss transportation, energy and trade issues
Three masked gunmen armed with knives and a meat cleaver threatened a family in Salford Manchester. The crime is now being investigated as a race crime.
Just one day after the Shebab overtook the Merka port, Somali and AU troops have retaken the key port
Somalia's Shebab retook their former stronghold of Merka on Friday from African Union troops who pulled out of the port they had held for three-and-a-half years
More than 100 people have been killed from a fever outbreak forcing the UN to launch a response against the epidemic.
On Friday the Pentagon released close to 200 photographs of detainee abuse in Iraq and Afghanistan, taken mostly between 2004 and 2006
Despite an assets freeze and travel ban, a commander was able to fly to Chad and a number of other countries.
Leaders agree potential North Korean satellite launch would violate UN sanctions
'Tunisia's parliament made a significant breakthrough for human rights by approving proposed changes in detainee rights,' the rights watchdog says
The meeting will be the first of its kind since a schism in the 11th Century split what was then the only Christian Church into Western and Eastern branches
German and French interior minister stress out that refugee flow from Turkey must be reduced
German chancellor is due to meet Turkish premier to discuss ways to make progress on reducing illegal migration and replacing it with legal migration
Neither Russian president nor foreign minister are planning to contact with their Turkish colleagues
'The AU troops pulled out of the town and Shebab militants entered, and have secured control without fighting'
'Albania is faced with an ecological disaster and we are obliged to take drastic measures against forest exploitation for industry and export,' environment minister says