World Bulletin / News Desk
Thousands of Bosnian Muslims prayed with open palms on Wednesday as the coffins of 520 Muslim men and boys killed by Serbs in UN-protected Srebrenica in 1995 and tipped into mass graves were passed overhead through the crowd and finally buried 17 years later.
Draped in green cloth, the coffins were interred under a scorching sun in the Potocari memorial centre in eastern Bosnia at a funeral marking the anniversary of the massacre that brought the number of victims identified and buried to 5,657.
Bosnian Serb wartime commander Ratko Mladic is on trial in The Hague accused of masterminding Europe's worst atrocity since World War Two during Bosnia's 1992-95 war, but for the families of the victims, the search for justice was of little comfort.
"I don't care what happens anymore. There is no verdict that could bring back my son," said Sefika Menakic, 56, whose 15-year-old son Adem was killed as he tried to escape through the hills after Dutch peacekeepers abandoned the town designated as a U.N. "safe haven" to Mladic's Bosnian Serb forces.
Menakic learned three months ago that forensic experts had identified a shoulder bone of her son and several ribs, which she buried on Wednesday.
"It kills me to think he lays there headless," she said. "But at least I know I have a place to come and pray for his soul."
The remains of an estimated 2,400 Muslim men and boys are still to be identified or dug up from the mass graves they were dumped in by Mladic's forces.
"For those who committed this crime, there can be no absolution," said New York Rabbi Arthur Schneier, a Holocaust survivor and the first non-Muslim cleric to address the annual ceremony.
"Srebrenica control to pass to Serbs"
The ceremony was marred by whistling and booing when foreign and local dignitaries arrived, reflecting anger over a ruling that thousands of Muslim refugees from Srebrenica, who no longer live there, cannot vote in the town's local election in October, meaning control will likely pass to local Serbs.
Mladic, the 70-year-old former general of Bosnian Serb forces, was arrested in May last year, hiding in plain sight in a village in northern Serbia.
U.N. prosecutors opened their case against him on Monday at the U.N. war crimes tribunal in The Hague, where Mladic faces a string of charges including genocide for the Srebrenica massacre and the 43-month siege of the Bosnian capital Sarajevo, which killed more than 10,000.
Despite the hot weather, approximately 50,000 people gathered at the cemetery for the 17th year of Srebrenica massacre.
Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bekir Bozdag represented Turkey at the ceremony.
The war in Bosnia that lasted 3.5 years and continued with the "genocide" in Srebrenica came to an end in 1995 with the Dayton Peace Agreement. Around 100,000 were killed, 500,000 women were raped and 2.5 million people had become refugees. Following the ethnic cleansing, almost no Muslim population was left in the cities of Srebrenica, Foca, Zvornik, Bratunac and Visegrad in the east of country.
Jordanian government spokesman said the "aerial target was shot after being intercepted" when it violated Jordanian air space near the northern border city of Mafraq.
U.N. health agency said that four hospitals, including al Aqsa hospital in the coastal strip, had been damaged in the conflict that began on July 8 when Israel launched air strikes
Yatseniuk, Ukraine's point man for the West during much of the turmoil in the country since November, tendered his resignation on Thursday, saying parliament was betraying its people's demands
Brazil called the escalation of violence "unacceptable" and recalled its ambassador for consultations.
The problem has become so great that more than 10 military airfields have been forced to close or move.
More than 30 Palestinians were also injured with live ammunition fired by Israeli troops.
Poor weather was the most likely cause of the crash of an Air Algerie flight over the West African state of Mali with 116 people on board, French officials said on Friday.
Two of the detainees are Jason Rezaian, the Tehran correspondent for the Washington Post, and his wife Yeganeh Salehi, a correspondent for the United Arab Emirates-based newspaper the Nation
Peter Greste was detained in December together with Al Jazeera English Cairo bureau chief Mohamed Fahmy and Egyptian producer Baher Mohamed.
The bombing comes only one day after 40 people were killed by twin blasts in neighboring Kaduna State.
Al-Thinni was due to attend a series of meetings in Libya's eastern region.
A security source said late on Thursday that civil defense personnel had managed to retrieve the bodies of eight people who died in the butane gas cylinder blast in the town of Malawi.
Around 40 of Gaza's 75 ambulances had stopped working because of the lack of fuel.
The decision came less than a week after the Justice Ministry filed a lawsuit against Bahrain's main opposition group, Al-Wefaq National Islamic Society
The lawsuit, if approved by the full House, would focus on Obama's implementation of his landmark healthcare law, known as "Obamacare"
Hundreds of Iraqi Christians staged a protest in the Kurdish city of Erbil on Thursday, demanding protection from a militant offensive.