World Bulletin / News Desk
The Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor's Office on Thursday ruled out the possibility of initiating legal proceedings against the president and prime minister, against whom a deputy earlier filed a criminal complaint over an airstrike that led to the deaths of 34 civilians in Şırnak province.
Republican People's Party (CHP) İstanbul deputy Mahmut Tanal, also a member of the parliamentary Human Rights Commission, filed a criminal complaint on May 18 against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, President Abdullah Gül and Chief of General Staff Gen. Necdet Özel, accusing them of bearing responsibility for an incident in which 34 civilians mistaken for terrorists were killed on the Turkish-Iraqi border near Uludere last December. Tanal claimed they had committed a crime against humanity.
The US officials who provided intelligence ahead of the airstrike, and Turkish military and civilian officials who supplied intelligence and issued the order for the strike should also be prosecuted, Tanal said.
The prosecutor's office said in its ruling that it does not have the authority to prosecute Gül and Erdoğan.
In a written statement released following the ruling, Tanal said the Ankara Prosecutor's Office had requested all documents concerning the involvement of the Turkish military and civilian officials who supplied the intelligence, Özel and the US officials who provided intelligence in the Uludere incident.
Turkish PM Erdogan called the upcoming local elections the most significant in Turkey's history and accused opposition parties and the Gulen movement of encouraging violence on streets.
Top diplomats of the three countries will exchange views on enhancing regional cooperation on the issues of common interest to all three countries.
Elvan, then aged 14, got caught up in street battles in Istanbul between police and protesters on June 16
Turkish dailies on Wednesday mainly cover the death of Gezi protests victim after 269 days in coma, the release of the detained suspects in Ergenekon case and the killings in courthouses.
Plans to reconstruct the military barracks in its former spot in Taksim's Gezi Park caused much controversy last year, when activists occupied the park to prevent building work from being commenced.
More detainees in "Ergenekon" coup trial have been released as the maximum detention period is reduced.
Turkey and Niger signed agreements for cooperation in energy, infrastructure, health
Elvan was the sixth person to die in violence during nationwide protests in late May and June over Erdogan's plans to rebuild an Istanbul park
Israel's Netanyahu said he is hopeful for the restoration of diplomatic ties with Turkey.
Turkish parliament Speaker Cemil Cicek said “The biggest insult and the biggest disrespect that can be done to a society is accusing them of committing genocide, though it is not real.”
Muhammad Salih claims that followers of Fethullah Gulen are pushing to deport him from Turkey in return for a lift of restrictions on their activities in Uzbekistan.
Most Turkish dailies on Tuesday dedicated their front pages to the releases of detainees connected with Ergenekon case – an alleged coup plot – plus a Turkish Super League football match between Trabzonspor and Fenerbahce which was abandonded after fans threw flares and objects on to the pitch before clashing with police.
A court in Istanbul frees two more detainess of Ergenekon alleged coup attempt case, but one will still be detained pending his second case.
Two people, one man and one woman, have been shot in an attack at a courthouse in Istanbul's Caglayan district.
Bulgaria plans a gas pipeline connection to Turkey in order to diversify its natural gas resources.