World Bulletin/News Desk
The International Criminal Court on Friday issued a new arrest warrant for Congolese general Bosco Ntaganda, for alleged war crimes including murder, rape and sexual slavery.
Ntaganda is already wanted by the Hague-based war crimes court for conscripting child fighters in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The court said the new warrant was for suspected war crimes and crimes against humanity in the DRC's Kivu provinces, a mineral-rich area plagued by long-running conflict, between September 2002 and September 2003.
"There are reasonable grounds to believe that Bosco Ntaganda is responsible for three counts of crimes against humanity, consisting in murder, rape and sexual slavery, and persecution," the court said in a statement.
"Bosco Ntaganda allegedly bears individual criminal responsibility for four counts of war crimes consisting of murder, attacks against the civilian population, rape and sexual slavery, and pillaging," it added.
The ICC has sought Ntaganda's arrest for six years on charges that he conscripted children to fight in a bloody ethnic conflict in northeastern Congo that grew out of a broader civil war. Ntaganda denies involvement in war crimes.
The court also issued an arrest warrant on Friday for Sylvestre Mudacumura, the leader of the FDLR (Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda) militia operating in the Kivu provinces, saying he was suspected of war crimes between January 2009 and September 2010 in the area.
"There are reasonable grounds to believe that Mr Mudacumura is responsible for nine counts of war crimes, consisting of attacking civilians, murder, mutilation, cruel treatment, rape, torture, destruction of property, pillaging and outrages against personal dignity," the court said in a statement.
The leaders of the mostly ethnic Hutu FDLR fled from Rwanda to Congo after Rwanda's 1994 genocide, in which 800,000 people died, mostly ethnic Tutsis.
The group played a major role in Congo's 1998-2003 conflict, in which 5 million people died, and has continued mass rapes, torture and killing.
This week, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and neighbouring states called for the creation of an international military force to eliminate armed rebels in the DRC's turbulent east.
The victim identified as Ahmed al-Naggar, he was 18 years old.
Peshmerga forces battling ISIL in Iraq reportedly take back the lost fields in southern Kirkuk and an oil well Saturday
Report: Japan trying to authenticate video that appears to show militant beheading journalist Kenji Goto.
Source close to Hamas says no longer accepts Egypt as Israel mediator
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said on Saturday that the country faces a long, hard battle against militancy, days after one of the bloodiest attacks on security forces in years.
Historic handwritten documents and archived texts burned as firefighters battled to save the library. 10 million books were saved.
Podemos was formed just a year ago by university professor Pablo Iglesias, but produced a major shock by winning five seats in elections for the European Parliament in May.
Hadi made his statement during a meeting with general secretaries of several Yemeni political parties.
The shelling created panic among residents with many presuming that Boko Haram was making attempts to storm into the city.
The passports of the 72 nationals were revoked after Bahrain's cabinet had approved the move to protect Bahrain's security and stability and fight "terrorist threats."
Last year "a degree of cooperation" allowed aid to enter after several months of being blocked, but access has again vanished with a deterioration of security
On Friday, the AU Peace and Security Council approved the deployment of 7,500 troops to Nigeria to fight Boko Haram
Gaps in on the ground intelligence could cut off key resoures of information for drone-missile attacks.
A roadside bomb went off near an army patrol in the city of al-Baydaa,
A young boy in need of urgent medical treatment died when Egypt and Israel refused to open the border gates.
Kim Jong-un appears to accuse US of trying to undermine regime