World Bulletin / News Desk
The next hearing for five Guantanamo prisoners charged with plotting the Sept. 11 attacks has been postponed for two weeks to allow the defendants to observe the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
The chief judge in the Guantanamo war crimes tribunals, Army Colonel James Pohl, granted the delay on Monday for suspects.
"“Today, the military commission rescheduled its next hearing from August 8-12 to August 22-26 to accommodate a defense request to avoid hearings during the last 10 days of Ramadan," said defense attorney James Connell, who represents Mohammed's nephew, defendant Ali Abdul Aziz Ali, also known as Ammar al Baluchi.
The five were arraigned at the Guantanamo Bay U.S. Naval Base in May and their next hearing had already been postponed from June because of scheduling conflicts among the defense lawyers.
Pretrial hearings are scheduled to resume on Tuesday in another death penalty case at Guantanamo - that of Abd al Rahim al Nashiri, an alleged al Qaeda chieftain accused of helping orchestrate a deadly attack on a U.S. warship off Yemen in 2000.
Nashiri's hearing had been scheduled to run through Friday but has been cut short by a day, also because of Ramadan, the month when Muslims fast during daylight hours.
Suspects accused of supplying weapons to Amedy Coulibaly -- 1 of 3 slain assailants involved in 2015 terror attacks
The arrests in the southeastern city of Teulada and the enclave of Ceuta in northern Morocco came a day after Spanish police detained four men with alleged links to people involved in the Brussels airport and metro attacks last year.
Slated for Tuesday, election of new Libyan central bank governor is indefinitely postponed by parliamentary official
Unknown attackers in northern Iraq briefly disable strategic Kirkuk-Ceyhan oil pipeline
The ship was heading towards Mljet Island on an "urgent medical transport" mission when the accident occurred on Tuesday evening near the popular tourist city, according to the ministry responsible for maritime affairs.
The bombings came two days after multiple suicide attacks near the strategic city that killed four members of the civilian joint taskforce (JTF) and injured two others.
The line was shut between Bressanone and Fortezza to the north to allow inspectors to assess what happened. Passengers were being transferred to buses for that part of their journeys.
German chancellor urges governments at Women20 Summit to do more to economically empower women
Trump's former national security advisor could face up to 5 years in prison for breaking the law
Prisoners told the Journal Sentinel that Thomas spent the last days of his life in agony, begging for water, in vain.
The opposition urged protesters to march on central Caracas, a pro-Maduro bastion where the seat of government is located.
The leaders of the other 27 EU nations will meet on April 29 to set down the bloc's red lines, though the talks will not begin until June.
Rather than efforts to keep the peace, the conflict is escalating in the war-ravaged country, said head of UN mission
US District Judge William Orrick says executive order unconstitutional, lawsuits likely to succeed
Ankara does not recognize monitoring decision, stands ready to reconsider EU accession, Turkish president says
The four were among nine men arrested in a vast operation targeting suspected extremists that was carried out in the northeastern region of Catalonia in conjunction with Belgian police, Catalan police said in a statement.