World Bulletin / News Desk
A suicide bomber carried out the attack that killed eight people in a bus transporting Israeli tourists in Bulgaria, the country's interior minister said on Thursday, and Israel accused Hezbollah of responsibility.
Video surveillance in front of the airport and the investigation showed the bomber could not be distinguished among arriving Israeli tourists, Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov said at the airport of Burgas, on Bulgaria's Black Sea coast.
"We have established there was a person who was a suicide bomber in this attack (on Wednesday). This person had a fake driving licence from the United States, from the state of Michigan," Tsvetanov told reporters.
"He looked like anyone else - a normal person with Bermuda shorts and a backpack," he said.
Special forces had managed to obtain DNA samples from the fingers of the bomber and were now checking databases in an attempt to identify him, Tsvetanov said. Bulgarian security services had received no indications of a pending attack.
Tsvetanov said eight people were killed in the attack including the Bulgarian driver of the bus and the bomber. The Israeli foreign ministry said it could confirm that five Israelis were killed.
The tourists had arrived in Bulgaria on a charter flight from Israel and were on the bus in the airport car park when the blast tore through the double-decker.
On Thursday, the airport in Burgas - a city of some 200,000 people at the centre of a string of seaside resorts - remained closed and police prevented people from approaching.
Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak claimed the Hezbollah carried out the bombing. "The immediate executors are Hezbollah people, who of course have constant Iranian sponsorship," Barak told Israel Radio.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Iran was behind the attack and that "Israel will react powerfully against Iranian terror."
Although Tehran has denied involvement, some analysts believe it is trying to avenge the assassinations of several scientists from its nuclear programme that the Iranians have blamed on Israel and its Western allies.
Attackers storm wedding ceremony with hand grenades and machine-guns, according to army sources
Pair had been planning to flee to Somalia, police officer says
Delegation members to discuss ongoing Yemen conflict with Iraqi officials
At 40, Chahed is Tunisia's youngest premier since independence from France in 1956, and the seventh in less than six years since the 2011 uprising that ousted strongman Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.
Country’s official electoral commission rejects calls to allow Hashd al-Shaabi to register as party in advance of polls
Campaigners want government to uphold rule of law as reports emerge of police removing headscarf-wearing women from beaches
No casualties reported in early-morning explosion at Brussels Institute of Criminology
The independent City Press on Sunday said the National Prosecution Authority (NPA) was on the verge of charging the minister in a case dating back to the time he headed the country's tax collecting agency.
The Saudi ambassador has accused Iran-affiliated Iraqi Shia militias of plotting to assassinate him
"The talks with the US have de facto failed because we Europeans of course must not succumb to American demands," he told public broadcaster ZDF. "Nothing is moving forward."
President Muhammadu Buhari indicates Nigeria is willing to talk to rebels over kidnapped Chibok girls
Iraqi forces have been battling ISIL militants in an attempt to retake territory captured by the terror group
Head of miners federation that called strike last month, 2 top officials among detained
Former economy minister says Brazilian president did nothing Illegal
Haider al-Abadi says Khalidiya town cleared of terror group as army plans push to retake Mosul