World Bulletin / News Desk
Egypt's former intelligence chief Omar Suleiman, one of ousted president Hosni Mubarak's closest associates and briefly his deputy, died in the United States while undergoing medical tests, one of his aides said.
He was 76. An urbane, shadowy figure, Suleiman was Mubarak's go-between of choice with Israel and the United States. As one of the autocratic leader's most trusted advisers, he takes some of the fallen government's most closely guarded secrets to his grave.
"He was fine. It came suddenly while he was having medical tests in Cleveland," the aide, Hussein Kamal, told Reuters without saying what caused the death. Preparations were under way to bring his body back home for burial, Kamal said.
Suleiman stepped briefly into the limelight last year when he was made Mubarak's vice president to try to end the Arab Spring uprising against his three-decade rule.
The gamble failed when the Egyptians massed in the streets to demand Mubarak step down rejected the political concessions Suleiman offered to appease them.
Many protesters were incensed when Suleiman suggested they were not yet ready for democracy. Days later, Mubarak fell.
He returned to the public sphere in April, alarming the mostly young revolutionaries who led the January 2011 uprising by bidding for the presidency.
He was disqualified when he failed to win the required backing. The election was won by Mohamed Mursi, the candidate of Mubarak's chief Islamist adversary the Muslim Brotherhood.
Suleiman left the country after his failed presidency bid, travelling to Abu Dhabi with relatives, according to a person familiar with the matter.
A senior Egyptian intelligence official, who did not want to be named, said he spoke to Suleiman's son-in-law who told him of the death. It was confirmed by Egypt's state news agency MENA.
Suleiman headed the Egyptian General Intelligence Services (EGIS) from 1993, taking a prominent diplomatic role in Egypt's relations with Israel, Palestinian factions and aid donor and ally the United States.
He was quietly touted as a possible successor to Mubarak. although many Egyptians believed the president would serve for life or try to hand power to his son.
"He was a strong man in the Mubarak regime. Now he is in the hands of God so we cannot judge him," said Achraf Chazly, a 35-year-old lawyer.
Egypt's interim government paid tribute to Suleiman, calling him a "patriotic, honest figure" in a statement carried by state news website Al-Ahram.
Others disagreed, saying Suleiman was part of a ruling elite that imprisoned and brutally abused anyone who opposed it.
"There is sorrow for all those that hoped for his punishment on earth, to see him a convicted criminal in the prisons where he put them for so long," said Facebook user Ibrahim el-Houdaiby.
Afghanistan's highest court has ruled that the police officer convicted of murdering Associated Press photographer Anja Niedringhaus should serve 20 years in prison
The country's ambassador to the United States told NBC on Sunday morning, Saudi Arabia is focussing on using air strikes.
Egypt lists 17 Brotherhood leaders including the former leader of the Muslim Brotherhood Mohamed Mahdi Akef and the head of the Brotherhood's Freedom and Justice Party Saad al-Katatni, as 'terrorist' figures
According to Independent news, foreign students banned from British university science lessons on the gorunds that they might learn how to make nuclear and chemical weapons
Saudi Arabia accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of hypocrisy on Sunday, telling an Arab summit that he should not express support for the Middle East while fuelling instability by supporting Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad.
The march headed towards the museum where a memorial for the victims of the attack will be inaugurated
Slovenian President Borut Pahor has said ahead of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's official visit Monday, Slovenia supports Turkey's EU membership
Arab leaders said Saudi-led operation would continue until the Iranian-allied Houthis withdraw. They also announced the formation of a unified military force to counter growing security threats from Yemen to Libya.
Collation of results continues and final results are not expected until Monday
Tens of thousands of Tunisians marched through the capital in a show of solidarity against museum attack on Sunday, hours after the government said its forces had killed nine members of a group suspected of carrying out this month's Bardo Museum attack.
According a port official, a Chinese warship approach the port of Aden to evacuate nationals.
An Israeli court has issued an order to demolish Palestinian village Susya and relocate its residents. The village was built even before the Israeli occupation of the West Bank in 1967.
At least 15 people wounded from anti-aircraft missiles shrapnel used by Houthis against warplanes of the Saudi-led coalition in Western Yemen
According to a Yemeni NGO Mwatana Organization for Human Rights (MOHR), at least 27 civilians – including 15 children – were killed in Yemen's Sanaa province.
Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi has fired Ahmed Ali Saleh who is son of former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.
Tunisian security forces have killed a senior Algerian suspected who they accuse of helping orchestrate the Bardo museum attack which targeted foreign tourists, Tunisia's Prime Minister Habib Essid said on Sunday.