World Bulletin / News Desk
Saudi Arabia has replaced intelligence chief Prince Muqrin bin Abdulaziz with its former ambassador to the United States, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, the Saudi Press Agency said on Thursday, citing a royal decree.
Prince Bandar, who was the kingdom's envoy to Washington for 22 years, a period spanning the first Gulf War and the Sep 11 2001 attacks on the United States, takes the portfolio at a time when Saudi Arabia faces growing instability in its immediate region.
"There was a feeling that we needed stronger intelligence and Bandar has a history of this sort," said Jamal Khashoggi, a prominent Saudi commentator with ties to the royal family.
"We are witnessing the start of a new Middle East with the collapse of the (Syrian President Bashar al) Assad regime. We are worried about Jordan and Lebanon," he said.
Bandar has headed Saudi Arabia's National Security Council for seven years but has shunned the limelight since leaving his Washington post in 2005.
"He's been close to that position heading the National Security Council and is very well aware of the intelligence apparatus. He's also been involved in Saudi security issues of the highest order for the last 10 years," said Robert Jordan, U.S. ambassador to Riyadh from 2001-03.
Jordan, who said he worked closely with Prince Bandar during that time, and described him as "the ultimate shuttle diplomat", said the appointment might help strengthen the alliance between Washington and its closest Arab ally.
Prince Bandar is a son of the late Crown Prince Sultan, who died last October and had served as defence minister for five decades.
In the sprawling ruling family, Sultan was one of seven brothers born to the kingdom's founder by his favourite wife and known collectively as the Sudairis, who formed the strongest power bloc in the House of Saud.
The kingdom's new heir apparent, Crown Prince Salman, is also a Sudairi, as is the new Interior Minister Prince Ahmed.
The royal decree carried by SPA said outgoing intelligence head Prince Muqrin, the youngest son of the kingdom's founder Abdulaziz ibn Saud, had been appointed a special envoy and adviser to King Abdullah, who is 89.
It added that Prince Bandar would retain his role as secretary general of the National Security Council.
The five defendants were condemned to death for storming a police station in Kerdasa – a town in Egypt's Giza province
French and Qatar signed on Monday a 6.3 billion euro $7.02 billion) agreement for the sale of 24 Dassault Aviation-built Rafale fighter jets.
A Syrian senior army figure had been wounded and said five people involved in a suicide attack in the bustling central district of Rukn al Din had been killed.
More and more people were put in jail every day in contravention of freedom of speech.
French President Francois Hollande arrived in Qatar on Monday to oversee the signing of the deal to sell 24 Rafale fighter jets.
The army source told state television the security forces had killed all the members of armed group in the bustling Rukn al Din district during a chase after a suicide bomber blew himself up.
Police in Israel have fired tear gas and stun grenades in clashes with ethnic Ethiopians protesting about what they say is police brutality and racism.
Thousands of Ethiopian Jews demonstrated on Sunday in Tel Aviv to protest Israeli police's heavy-handed practices against their community.
On Friday, Kuwaiti security forces arrested al-Tabtabaie for a tweet in which he claimed that there was pressure from Tehran to sideline Kuwaiti Crown Prince Nawaf Al-Jaber Al-Sabah
Some soldiers belonging to the Saudi-led Arab coalition were deployed Saturday night in Yemen's southern province Aden, local residents have said.
Brigadier General Ahmed Asseri told there were no non-Yemeni forces fighting in Aden
According to sources, Arab troops join pro-Hadi group fighting Houthis near Aden airport
Iranian news outlets had reported that al-Jubeir stressed the importance of the Iran's "role" in the Middle East
This was the second protest to be held in Hadhramaut against Al-Qaeda.
Ofir Gendelman warned Israeli citizens on Twitter against travelling to the North African state.
Move seeks to open negotiations for end to more than a decade of conflict.