World Bulletin / News Desk
A third lane will be closed off to the traffic on the Fatih Sultan Mehmet (FSM) Bridge, one of the two bridges linking the Asian and European continents in İstanbul, on July 25.
The İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality will also be opening a new ferry route between Küçüksu and İstinye so as to prevent further traffic congestion on the bridge. The other remaining lanes on the bridge will remain open.
The Municipality announced that it will also provide extra bus services and car-carrying ferries, provided by İstanbul Ferry Lines (İDO). Maintenance and repairs on the FSM Bridge is being carried out between June 18 and Sept. 17.
The maintenance work is being done during the summer months as fewer cars cross the bridge at this time of the year. Approximately 250,000 cars cross the FSM Bridge every day during the winter, whereas this number drops to around 80,000-90,000 in the summer months. Maintenance work has also started on the Haliç Bridge.
In order to alleviate traffic, the state-owned İDO has staring offering a 24-hour car ferry service. The company announced that car ferries would run between Harem and Sirkeci 24 hours a day as of 6 a.m. on July 13. Experts have harshly criticized the municipality for poorly planning and carrying out maintenance on the bridge and for not adequately informing the public of alternative routes created to avert traffic jams on the bridge.
The blogger, writer and human rights activist began a hunger strike last week after claiming he had no access to a lawyer and had been "interrogated" on the content of his research.
Turkish foreign minister says Russian nationals will be able to stay in Turkey up to 90 days
At least four killed after strong winds hit several provinces across the country
Ex-diplomat Philippe Moreau Defarges makes controversial comment on French TV about assassination of Turkish president
People from all over Turkey and major cities of the world celebrate the special day; PM Yildirim visits Ataturk's mausoleum
Counter-terrorism operations in Sirnak province continue
Controversy casts doubt on the objectivity of OSCE after its members were accused of spying and supporting PKK
Turkish military also seizes several explosives, guns and artillery; 1 PKK collaborator captured
If EU does not accept new proposal, refugee deal to come to a standstill, EU Affairs Minister Omer Celik says
According to preliminary reports, an assailant has been killed in the blast in Suruc, Sanliurfa province
Analysts say passing of constitutional referendum should see near-term improvement in currency
Total number of returned refugees under Turkey-EU deal reaches 1,074
Thursday evening's shooting left one police officer dead and two others wounded
Weekly military operations report says 5 soldiers killed
Vladimir Putin, Recep Tayyip Erdogan will discuss situation in Syria, Kremlin spokesman says
March figures from Turkish Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges show yearly drop in new firms