World Bulletin / News Desk
Saudi Arabia's female judo competitor will fight at the London Olympics "without a hijab", or headscarf, the sport's chief said on Thursday.
Wodjan Ali Seraj Abdulrahim Shaherkani, one of the first two female athletes sent to the Olympics by the conservative Muslim kingdom, is due to compete in the women's heavyweight tournament next Friday.
She will fight "according to the principle and spirit of judo", so without a hijab, International Judo Federation president Marius Vizer said.
The decision is likely to cause controversy in Saudi Arabia.
A Saudi official had told Reuters earlier this month they expected that the women would have to obey the dress code of Islamic law. He did not elaborate, but other conservative Muslim countries have interpreted this to mean a headscarf, long sleeves and long pants.
Shaherkani, who will compete in the 78-kg category in judo, and teenage 800 metre runner Sarah Attar were the first Saudi women allowed to take part in the Olympics after talks between the International Olympic Committee and the country.
Saudi Arabia was one of three countries, alongside Brunei and Qatar, never to have sent female athletes to the Olympics but the latter two confirmed earlier this year that their delegations would include women.
Regime planes also struck a storehouse in Aleppo, which has been reeling under a crippling siege by the Syrian regime for the past two weeks
Netanyahu says his government has been able to defeat international boycott movement by attacking on 'many fronts'
Eight people have been killed and more than 20 injured after strikes hit civilians in Aleppo
Israeli officials decline to give details about the meeting
The Jerusalem Post newspaper said Eshki led a delegation of "businessmen and academics" on a mission to promote a stalled Saudi-led 2002 Arab peace initiative.
"The doctors could only yell for their colleagues to take cover and shield the babies," the group said in a statement.
Aleppo has seen an uptick in airstrikes in recent days
Clashes erupt in Manbij after ISIL ignores 48-hour offer by US-backed rebels to leave the town
Hamas hired more than 40,000 people after it seized Gaza in 2007 following deadly clashes with militants of Fatah, the party of Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas.
Qatar-based Islamic organization describes last week’s failed coup bid in Turkey as ‘haram’ act
Airstrikes target opposition-held parts of Aleppo and Idlib provinces
Group’s decision to take part in Palestinian municipal polls is aimed at breaking longstanding Gaza siege, experts say
Barrier will stretch from Palestinian town of Tarqumiyah to Israeli settlement area near Mitar military checkpoint
'Turkish people have shaped a historic day' says Muslim Brotherhood figure Abdullah El-Haddad